Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't know what to do next...

Default I don't know what to do next...

My 1 year old son and I are in the process of weaning. I used to pump 3 times at work but when we started to make his bottles 1/2 BM & 1/2 whole milk, I now only pump 1 time at work. We've been doing this for a few weeks now & he really likes the whole milk.

I still nurse him in the morning and at bedtime but I was wondering what to do next? Do I stop the morning nursing session and give him a bottle when he wakes up and still nurse at bedtime - or - still nurse in the morning and stop the night-time nursing session and give him a bottle at bedtime?

I'm going to miss either of them regardless.

Default Re: I don't know what to do next...

Do you want to wean completely? If he takes milk well in a bottle, would you be interested in discontinuing the pumping and just keeping the morning and bedtime nursing sessions for a while? Otherwise, if you do want to give up one of the nursing sessions for sure, I would say choose the one that he doesn't need as much, and keep the most important one for a while.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

If I were you I would just completely pump wean before I dropped any sessions. If he is happy with Cow milk during the day and you are fine giving it to him, the just let go of the pump first and get that out of the way. I would consider holding onto your only two nursing sessions at least until the first year molars break. At that point look again. But I imagine his need to nurse may actually go up a bit for the 4-6weeks those take to come in.

Way too lazy for formula

Smile Re: I don't know what to do next...

Wow, I didn't realize that should happen first. I guess I always thought that would decrease my supply even more than it has already. I will try that first then...as for teeth, his are coming in very slowly it seems. His 5th tooth just broke through a few days ago and then before that, the 4th tooth finally made an appearance. I do think there's another tooth ready to pop through.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will get rid of the pump tomorrow...we'll see how it goes.

For most moms, when your baby is about a year old your supply seems pretty well established.

There are MANY moms here who have "pump weaned" some time after baby turned 12 mo, but continued to breastfeed for as long afterwards as mom and child wanted to.

After I pump weaned, I had a couple of weeks of feeling "full" on Mondays at work (after being home nursing all weekend). I'd hand express JUST enough for comfort. And then my body just adjusted.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thank you, I guess after I "pump wean", I will see how he reacts to my supply. These suggestions at least give me some sense of direction now and I don't feel as "lost".

Thanks everyone!

Are you interested in continuing to nurse for a longer time?

I stopped pumping completely around 13 months and continued to nurse for another year. I will do the same with my second baby.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I stopped pumping at work when DS was 11 1/2 months. He's 17 months and still nurses before bed, during the night, and in the morning during the work week, sometimes also before naps on the weekends.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Are you interested in continuing to nurse for a longer time?

I stopped pumping completely around 13 months and continued to nurse for another year. I will do the same with my second baby.

I think we are both gettting ready to take the next step but now I don't know which session should be replaced (morning or bedtime) and then what should I replace it with? Do I stop the morning nursing seesion and keep the bedtime one? If so, do I give him a bottle when I would've otherwise nursed him? I guess that would make sense because he would be hungry. Or do I keep the morning and replace the bedtime session with a bottle?

I'm just second guessing myself since I've never gone through this before.
    Last edited by @llli*mama.lou; June 5th, 2011 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Are you sure you want to wean to a bottle? That is a hard one to break.
    If not to a bottle then to what?