Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Abrupt weaning

Default Help! Abrupt weaning

I just found myself in a difficult situation. My partner has been hospitalized for the last month after massive surgery with complications. We were weeks from opening our dream business, a project that we worked on for more than a year. My 26 month old daughter is very attached to me and nurses for comfort at least 5 times a day. She is very strong willed and clingy. Because of the circumstances and because I need to proceed with the opening without my partner, his mother suggested taking the kids out of state to her house for about 5 days. They just left and I gave my girl one last feed and tried to explain that there wouldn't be any more when she got back. I'm heartbroken. Emotionally I wasn't ready (plus Ive never been apart from her) but I needed some help to take care of her and her sister during this crazy time. Is she going to be traumatized or feel abandoned? Am I going to get hormonal and depressed ( although I already am because of the situation with my partner). Any advice gratefully accepted. Thank you!

Default Re: Help! Abrupt weaning

Why do you have to wean? Couldn't she nurse again when she comes back?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I have a low supply to begin with. I don't think it would last 5 days.

You may be surprised. I've never been away from my child for that long, ever, but you may get engorged and have to pump once a day to prevent mastitis. And she could bring your supply back nursing.

I know women who have weaned this way - and it's what they wanted to do, so they were ok emotionally with it.

Do you want to wean?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I was just away from my little guy for 5 days and he is about your LO's age. I pumped twice a day while I was gone and we didn't have any trouble picking back up where we left off. If you and your daughter aren't ready to be done I would give it a try at least- can't hurt.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    You may be surprised. I've never been away from my child for that long, ever, but you may get engorged and have to pump once a day to prevent mastitis. And she could bring your supply back nursing.

I know women who have weaned this way - and it's what they wanted to do, so they were ok emotionally with it.

Do you want to wean?
    --- if you're not ready to wean don't. There are Mamas here who went away for five days and even nursing only once a day (so much lower milk) and came back to toddlers who still wanted to nurse. And you may be surprised by how much milk you're actually making... I think it would be potentially a bad idea to wean abruptly for the sake of YOUR health... sounds like the last thing you need in your current situation is ending up sick with mastitis!!! I would pump at least a couple of times a day if you can fnd the time.

I hope everything with your partner and your business turn out okay Mama.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it