Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does my LO know the difference?

Default Does my LO know the difference?

I can feed her until she is almost overfull, some spit up with her burp. She'll constantly cry and root on me thinking she wants more. We are dealing with gulping and oversupply (gassiness) that is slowly working itself out DH will come and take her from me and she gets quiet, totally quiet. He can just walk her around until she dozes off.

Does she know that I am the milk fairy? Is it something that is so ingrained between the two of us? DH thinks she can smell me and the milk from across the house.

Default Re: Does my LO know the difference?

She does know the milk is from you. They can smell it from a distance, but I don't know about across the house. My DH can walk lo and sing to her and she is out. She would root, cry and not give up until I gave up the breast. I'm just happy DH started to walk/sing with her early on and that the option is still there, but he is gone alot and we nurse to sleep 99% of the time. However, I do not have oald and so comfort nursing is not a problem for us. Maybe someone will have some advice.

She can smell you!! Babies smell their mamas and will usually nuzzle towards mama...isn't that cute. DS sleeps with us and if I put him in the middle of the bed he always somehow scootches to be right next to me. Your LO may just want to comfort nurse...its just suckling and soothes them...I would allow her to do that if you can...COngrats on your DD.

Yep! Not only can they smell you, thy can smell other lactating mothers and wil turn away from other mother and towards their own

It sounds like she may want to suck (remember that sucking is comforting!). Babies know mothers are for milk, and for comfort! It's totally normal for her to want to be near you, and even for her want to (and need to) nurse frequently.

To answer your question, yes, I'm sure she knows you're the "milk fairy".

Here are some resources that you might find helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html

I second all the other pp's. My DS totally knows what he wants and when I am holding him, there is no soothing him until I put him on the breast. Anyone else can just hold him and he will fall asleep. He definately likes to nurse for comfort, which lead to an oversupply problem, but we are slowly working that out. One night we fell asleep with him curled up on my chest...I wasn't wearing a shirt...and I awoke to find him literally squirming his way down my chest towards my leaking breasts! And now when he is hungry, he will stop crying the instant I pick him up...I'm sure it's because he knows I'm the milk fairy!

Smile Re: Does my LO know the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Collinsmommy View Post
    I second all the other pp's. My DS totally knows what he wants and when I am holding him, there is no soothing him until I put him on the breast. Anyone else can just hold him and he will fall asleep. He definately likes to nurse for comfort, which lead to an oversupply problem, but we are slowly working that out. One night we fell asleep with him curled up on my chest...I wasn't wearing a shirt...and I awoke to find him literally squirming his way down my chest towards my leaking breasts! And now when he is hungry, he will stop crying the instant I pick him up...I'm sure it's because he knows I'm the milk fairy!
    Oh yeah. They TOTALLY smell the milk and the specific smells of their mums. If I start pumping milk from across the living room and my LO is in his swing in the same room sleeping, he will wake up! He will begin to root in his sleep..lol! Also, even if he is not hungry, I sometimes cannot put him in his sling because he knows he is close to his breasts (and I do say HIS because he knows they are his and not mine anymore..lol) and will want to nurse.

I've tried nursing in slings and it doesn't work. Anyone know how to make that happen? We'd both be the happiest campers in the world if we could learn how to nurse in the sling!

I've tried nursing in slings and it doesn't work. Anyone know how to make that happen? We'd both be the happiest campers in the world if we could learn how to nurse in the sling!
    You can ask the ladies on our Babywearing Forum. Lots of good info to be found there!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!