Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: From C-Section to Frenotomy :(

Default From C-Section to Frenotomy :(

My darling little guy is 3 weeks and 5 days old today, and needless to say our nursing journey, which started off wonderful, has spiraled out of control

Right after my C-Section, I was able to nurse my baby in recovery Fast forwarding to when my LO reached 2 weeks old and I had completely stop taking any form of pain medication I started noticing a sharp pain while nursing and the fact that my nipples would come out of my LO's mouth looking like new tubes of lipstick. Well, I continued to nurse until I absolutely couldn't take it anymore My husband and I started syringe feeding while I used soothies, thinking it was only temporary pain. Of course, the pain only continued to get worse, so that's when I decided to seek outside help. Well, one week, 2 La Leche League meetings, and a consult from IBCLC, it was determined that my little guy had a posterior tongue tie.

On yesterday, his tongue was cut. I tried nursing immediately at the doctor's office and of course the pain was still there. I tried off and on once I got home and again this morning, but it still hasn't gotten better. It seems that while I was on pain medications, I allowed my LO to latch and nurse incorrectly, thus he has managed to build up 3 weeks of incorrect "sucking" (I guess you can say I stumbled upon yet another way C-sections interfere with nursing).

At this point I have become so frustrated and depressed, I am at the point of stopping nursing all together (myself nor my husband can't take much more). We have resulted to supplementing with formula and feeding with bottles.

I know that this is a long shot, but what I want to know is if anyone else out there has still had issues with latch even after a frenotomy. If so, what did you do to promote a good latch? Or, were you able to ever get a good latch?

Default Re: From C-Section to Frenotomy :(

My son had his tongue clipped less than a week after being born and it took 2 weeks before he would even latch. It can be done, it just takes some patience and dedication. I'm sorry you have been having a rough time.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Determination is your best friend right now. Can you pump and feed him BM instead of formula? That will keep your supply from tanking. Every formula bottle tells your body not to make that feeding ykwim? You CAN do this. Just keep at it mama. Keep going for help at the LLL meetings. Can you call the leader for some additional hands on help? I'm sorry you are having a hard time.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zplum View Post
    Determination is your best friend right now. Can you pump and feed him BM instead of formula? That will keep your supply from tanking. Every formula bottle tells your body not to make that feeding ykwim? You CAN do this. Just keep at it mama. Keep going for help at the LLL meetings. Can you call the leader for some additional hands on help? I'm sorry you are having a hard time.
    I am pumping. I haven't been able to increase my supply however, only maintain. It's hard taking care of a newborn and trying to pump at least every 2 hours, and trying to rest in between (lately sleep has been beating pumping ) I am determined , although what I could use right now is endurance

My son had his tongue tie fixed at almost two months and it took several weeks to get better. We pumped and bottle feed for two months before I decided either I was going to nurse him or I wasn't. It's been a year next week and I still struggle with sore nipples (although we've recently discovered an upper lip tie) but it is much more tolerable than before his tongue was fixed. Hang in there it's totally worth it!

I too had a C section and 3.5 weeks later discovered my baby had tongue tie. That was about a month ago and we're still dealing with it. He had the tongue lasered (under and top lip) and the under the tongue keeps reattaching. I have to pull his tongue every day for 7 days until it heals. He too learned to suck "wrong" and nursing is still painful at 7 weeks. There are tongue exercises you can do to help train him, but my baby is colicky too so any times he's happy I don't want to make him angry and stick my finger in his mouth so we haven't really been doing them. I'm hopeful things will get better. We too had lipstick nipple, excrutiating pain and cracked nipples that still are not healed. Right now I'm temporarily feeding on one side and pumping the other to let the one side heal. I'm planning to do this for 24-48 hours to see if it improves. I'm thinking this will indicate whether we're still having latching or tongue issues. I feel your pain. For now we're hanging in there. Every day is a struggle and I'm debating on quitting nursing and exclusively pumping but I know that will be a pain. I'm going to try to make it another week b/c by then he'll be two months. I really want to make it to at least 6 months. It's so disappointing that things aren't working out as planned.

Thanks ladies for all of the support. Unfortunately, I decided today to give up breastfeeding. It has been a week since my LO had his frenotomy and his latch/suckling hasn't shown improvement. It seems he isn't getting enough when nursing. As far as pumping goes, I've only managed to maintain what my little guy started off needing and of course he demands more now. I wish I could have persisted like you all, but the pain and stress has finally taken its toll. I wish the best to you all and I truly want you all to continue to be blessed with breastfeeding.

I feel your pain and i can only tell you that everything will only get better regardless of your decision to continue breastfeeding or bottle.
    It is normal your milk production has not increased, it takes a bit of time. What is important is that you keep pumping. It is the stimulation that will increase your milk flow. I had stopped breastfeeding too and then regretted my decision. My husband bought me an electric breast pump and i would pump just short periods of time but frequently (6-8x) (15 min each time). i would supplement formula and also give him what i could pump.
    his latch only improved after a month but my doctor prescribed my a cream that would cure cracked bloody nipples and had me taken supplemental b6 and magnesium and calcium vitamins. this helps increase blood flow to the nipple and thus cure the pain. my son is tongue-tied but i refused to have his tongue clipped. his latch did improve as he got bigger. he is now 5 weeks old.
    good luck and remember it is never too late to go back on your decision.