Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 month old refusing solids stills

Default 12 month old refusing solids stills

hi ladies
    This question is for my Italian friend and I will try to give the details on her behalf. Her 12 month old is still refusing solids.

At 6mths she started introducing solids to LO and 6mths later it's not going anywhere. She's tried different spoons, purees, non pureed food, home made foods, baby food from a jar etc. LO has never taken a dummy or fed from a bottle. She does take water from a cup though.

LO was on the small side at birth weighing 2.8kgs at birth but has always maintained her growth curve.

My friend started back at work in Dec when LO was 7 months and would comes home at lunch time to BF. Never expressed her milk.

Last week my friend had the 1 yr appt with the dr (we have the same one) and he suggested giving LO food such as potato chips with ketchup, wursters/hotdogs etc. Obviously my friend was not happy with this idea.

Apparently both mother and father weren't big on solids when there were under 2 years either.

While my friend is trying not to stress over it, it's not easy when all the other babies around her are doing well with solid introduction.

Does anyone else have experience with late solid eaters?

Default Re: 12 month old refusing solids stills

oh yeah my dd didn't eat much of anything untill she turned 2.
    We just set a plate for her of what ever we were eating. And it was up to her to eat it or not.
    Hang in there.
    Did they test the babies iron? Sometimes when their iron is low they just don't eat much.
    and thats a simple fix with combos of foods and sometimes a suppliment.

Mine didn't eat a bunch either, now she eats non-stop.
    Out of curiosity...how much does her LO weigh now? My LO was about 18lb at 1 and was also considered small. I didn't worry too much about it.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

My first DD ate no more than a teaspoon or two of food per day until she was around 14-15 months. She was always perfectly healthy, and not small, either.

Tell your friend not to stress. I know it's hard when all the other babies are chowing down on solids like there're no tomorrow, but 12 months is still very young. When I was questioning whether or not my LO would ever eat solids, my pediatrician told me to relax, because babies can be well-nourished by breast milk alone until they are around a year old (plus or minus), and after that point the transition to a majority solids diet can be slow. It's not like babies go to sleep on day 364 needing only mama's milk, and wake up on day 365 needing a ton of solid food.

Has your friend tried a baby-led approach to solids? Some kids just hate the spoon, and would much rather self-feed. If your friend hasn't tried baby-led solids, I suggest that she try putting a variety of healthy solids (not potato chips and wurst!) in front of her baby, and allow her to get the solids into her own mouth. Let her experiment, let her play. Solids should be about fun when baby has first begun.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    Mine didn't eat a bunch either, now she eats non-stop.
    Out of curiosity...how much does her LO weigh now? My LO was about 18lb at 1 and was also considered small. I didn't worry too much about it.
    From memory it's a little over 9kg's but not exactly sure. I remember my friend saying her LO is the same weight as my 8mth old who is now just over 9kg. Her LO has always maintained her 5th percentile growth curve.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    Did they test the babies iron? Sometimes when their iron is low they just don't eat much.
    and thats a simple fix with combos of foods and sometimes a suppliment.
    No, there have definitely done no testing but I will tell my friend about this.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

Has your friend tried a baby-led approach to solids? Some kids just hate the spoon, and would much rather self-feed. If your friend hasn't tried baby-led solids, I suggest that she try putting a variety of healthy solids (not potato chips and wurst!) in front of her baby, and allow her to get the solids into her own mouth. Let her experiment, let her play. Solids should be about fun when baby has first begun.
    Yes, my friend is very much into the idea of experimenting with solids. They leave food on her plate and ate together at meal times, but LO is not interested at all.

Thanks for the ideas & support mammas. I will let my friend know.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*designerfish View Post
    From memory it's a little over 9kg's but not exactly sure. I remember my friend saying her LO is the same weight as my 8mth old who is now just over 9kg. Her LO has always maintained her 5th percentile growth curve.
    I wouldn't even worry Keep doing what she's doing. Some kids are just small and as long as she's on the same curve and growing consistantly I wouldn't worry too much.
    Proud mom of 2:

Quick update: I visited my friend and her LO on Sat last week and unfortunately LO had a fever during the week lasting over 3 days and you can see she has lost some weight. I guess when they are so small loosing weight really shows (unlike us!!!).

My friend and her DH took LO to the hospital one of the days and the ped. there did some blood checks and their DD has low iron. (thanks Andrea for the tip off!).

She is now taking some extra vitamins for this and hopefully will gain an appetite.

Last check in with the grandma this week is that baby is still not eating though.

Ped at hospital just said to keep offering solids in between feeds for now.

Glad to hear the update! Hopefully the supps will help!
    Proud mom of 2: