Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Got stomach flu, need IV hydration via ER, now supply is sooooo low

Question Got stomach flu, need IV hydration via ER, now supply is sooooo low

I dont want my son to get formula, I use it for supplement. He is much better w the breast milk. He has bad reflux and is much better with the mommy milk then the soy. I pump at work, and will try massaging before and after (just watched the video link on that). I need to make more effort to use mothers milk tea...but any other advice? He gets 4 oz in a bottle to be satisfied. Today, i pumped, and got 1/2 oz out of each breast!( I did take a pill 1x for nausea on Monday. I didnt take anymore bc #1 I couldnt bf and #2 I read later that it can diminish supply. I am afraid it did and with the fact that my son wouldnt bf from fri night till tues am! After multiple failed latching attmempts, I tried to quit BF and 14 hrs later had to go back. I couldnt stop. Please HELP!!!

Default Re: Got stomach flu, need IV hydration via ER, now supply is sooooo low

Stomach flu is the worst! I hope you're feeling better now!

How old is your little one?

Mama, it's normal to have a set-back with a stomach flu, especially one severe enough to land you in the hospital and get medication. But usually the effect on supply (from flus or from meds) is not PERMANENT. 14 hours of not breastfeeding can also reduce your supply, but you can usually recover from all of these things by just going to bed with your baby and nursing for a couple of days. If you can't nurse, and have to work, then up your pumping efforts for a while (pump more frequently) until your supply recovers. Really, if you start NOW, nursing and/or pumping as much as possible, it will probably only take a few days to recover your supply. Ditch the supplements if you can, and just nurse. Definitely massage your breasts before, and DURING pumping. It really makes a difference! What kind of pump are you using? Are you using a hand-pump? If so, could you rent an electric for just a couple weeks while you get back on track?

Hang in there! You can get over this hurdle, and get back to easy breastfeeding. What you're going through sounds pretty normal for a mama who has been hospitalized. With a little determination, you'll be back to normal.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

First of all, hope you are feeling better. as for the dip in supply, it is pretty normal after you have had a stomach bug. The most important things you can do to get your supply back up is to keep putting baby to the breast and get rehydrated. It may take a couple of days, but your supply will come back. so get some rest, drink plenty of water, and nurse, nurse, nurse.
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*BakerSmurf View Post
    First of all, hope you are feeling better. as for the dip in supply, it is pretty normal after you have had a stomach bug. The most important things you can do to get your supply back up is to keep putting baby to the breast and get rehydrated. It may take a couple of days, but your supply will come back. so get some rest, drink plenty of water, and nurse, nurse, nurse.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Exclamation Re: Got stomach flu, need IV hydration via ER, now supply is sooooo low

My son is 10 weeks old. BF exclusivly for 5 weeks and then went to the sitters with frozen milk till about 3rd day, I ran out bc he went thru a growth spurt and took all the milk. On average, he would get 2 bottles of formula a day, till I was in ER on Sunday. He went on a nursing strike from Fri night- Tues Am.

I have a medela swing pump at home (1 side) and I use the hospital pump while at work (Symphony double sided). I try to pump at least every 4 hrs, no longer then that...but its so difficult to go up there sooner and know I will only get about 1 oz total. Very discouraging. Last two days my breast feel even less full then before I was even pregnant. Its making me upset. I really just want to breastfeed, but it just doesnt seem to be successful enough to nourish him.
    I BF this am (after he slept ALL night) for 1 hr, he screamed and screamed during and after I thought he was done. I had to end up giving him formula, 4 oz he ate! Thats his normal feeding and now he is sleeping. I must have gave him about NOTHING!!!