Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!

Default Help!

Hello!
    I'm a first time mom to a 16 week old boy. I made the decision to breastfeed him and not supplement at all with formula. Breastfeeding was a real challenge for me the first 8 weeks with many tears she from both myself and my LO until a Le Leche leader had told me about OALD and once I corrected that, breastfeeding ran more smoothly. Now, at 16 weeks I've gone back to work and my LO is receiving my milk in a bottle. Ever since he's taken the bottle and pacifier I've noticed that he's eating terribly off of me! His latch is very shallow and he doesn't have a good seal around my areola. Even if I'm not full, I can hear him swallowing air and feel bubbles going down his side as he nurses. He burps really well when he's done, so I would think that he would be ok. The problem I've been having the past week are the sleepless nights. I notice that when he nurses on me he's up every 2 1/2-3 hours kicking his legs and whining/wimpering or crying from gas pain. I pump his legs and he'll occasionally pass gas 4-8 times. I have to rock him back to sleep or walk with him until he cries himself to sleep in my arms. It's a very helpless feeling, especially when I know that he doesn't get gas as badly from a bottle. I was so desperate this morning from lack of sleep and going to work that I was going to resolve to just pump into a bottle and feed him my milk. That resolution broke my heart and I don't want to do that. I love the bond I share with him when I nurse him. Should I seek out my Le Leche Leader to check my nursing style? I use the cradle hold mostly. I don't know what to do! Please help!
    p.s. I also think he's teething because his fingers are always in his mouth and he constantly wants his pacifier. He's been drooling like crazy the past 2 weeks!

Default Re: Help!

hi mama, and welcome
    Sounds like a number of things to me...
    Could be your OALD acting up, maybe with being at work and a different nursing/pumping schedule has thrown off your progress of controlling it?
    Are you continuing to block feed when you're together?
    OR-nipple confusion did he have a bottle went to work?
    and teething could definitely be a culprit! My oldest had hsi first two teeth by the time he was 4 months old, he sure was grumpy at times when it was time to nurse!
    It might be one thing, or it could be all of the things you're concerned about at play-and being away from you while you work, that could be part of the problem. How is he on your days off? Do you nurse on those days or do both breast and bottle?
    I'm not very helpful am I? just wanted you to know that you are probably on the right track!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Hi! It's so good to hear from you! I don't mind all of the questions because every situation with a baby is so different!

I think my OALD IS acting up because even though I don't feel full, I know that when he nurses for the first minute he swallows air.

Since I've been back at work I nurse him in the morning, he receives three bottles in the day and I nurse him twice before bedtime. After he sleeps I pump before bed and in the middle of the morning around 4am after I nurse him as well as at work. I'm trying to build up my supply so I pump about every 4-5 hours.

I only pump about 3 oz. but I've been giving him bottles with 4 - 4 1/2 oz because my husband and babysitter said he sucks down the 3 oz and cries like he wants more.

I try to block feed but I can only do it when I get home from work and right before his bed time because the pumping interferes with that.

He only gets a bottle when I am at work. I nurse him on the weekends and he does get his fussy periods about an hour and a half after he nurses on me.
    Overall he's typically in a good mood. I think that he misses me while I'm at work because he cries almost every night I get home for the first 30 min. unless I nurse him right away, even if he ate an hour-two hours prior.

Luckily I'm a school teacher and I'll have the summer off to correct the OALD and limit the bottle use. I also want to talk to my pediatrician to see if he's ready for rice cereal to help with his fullness and tummy problems.

I'm just so frustrated because I don't want him to always have to have those stretches of time with gas pain as well as for me to get some sleep at night! I know it will all work out, it just seems like it's taking forever!

let me tell you, rice cereal will probably increase the gas and pain
    It's really not very filling anyway, and is empty calories, your milk is much more nutritious and filling-and despite the rumors out there, cereal probably won't help him sleep but I've BTDT, I know I tried in desperation with my oldest.

I had OALD with my second son, so I feel your pain. I bet once school is over, and you guys are together and can nurse on demand that things will start to look up!
    Too bad these babies weren't born with an instruction manual It sure would make life a little easier!
    Good luck mama, and hopefully someone will have some better advice for you!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

poor baby!

i suggest pumping an ounce or so(maybe less) out before you feed him. that will help with the oald (and maybe oversupply from all the pumping?) & swallowing all the air. i had an oversupply problem and had to quit pumping so much, but i know some women dont have a choice to (or they want to) go back to work.

i sometimes have to keep readjusting the latch with my lo if he has a shallow one, i just break the seal and keep relatching until it is right.

also try this baby massage for gas http://www.llli.org/nb/nbjanfeb98p13.html
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

Great job on keeping with BF'ing! I agree w/ PP's, it could be some nipple confusion or OALD. Also, both my DD's seemed to go through a really gassy period right around that age, maybe the gas isn't realated to nursing, maybe it's just one of those development phases? I work full time and as soon as I get home, my 8 mo old wants to be held and often nurse even if she had a bottle not long ago. A bottle just doesn't compare to a warm loving snuggly mama!

I am more likely to think the pumping is increasing your supply and therefore he's getting too much foremilk even with block nursing. You could try only offering one side for both evening feedings.

I had similar problems and no matter what I have to only pump to EXACTLY match the bottles my little one gets. So if he gets one I only pump one side, if he had two then I pump both sides etc. Any double pumping for single bottles results in disaster.

I did find that only pumping one side resulted in a disappointing letdown. So I found better results with double pumping to letdown, and then only continuing to pump one side. Then mixing the bottles to make sure there wasn't too much foremilk.

I am not sure what you mean by swallowing air, it is not a problem for babies to swallow air. They may get hiccups but it rarely causes gas. Too much foremilk is my guess.

Mix your bottles. It made a huge difference for us! Keep nursing. I have had nothing but trials for 9 mos with nursing and not once do I wish I had given up even though I have thought of it SEVERAL times.

Also try eliminating dairy from your diet. What you eat absolutely affects baby.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Thanks for the advice. Since looking into it, rice cereal wreaks havoc on the intestines for some babies! I'm going to stick it out and do my best until I can stay home and not have to pump. He's been sleep 6-7 hours in a row the past few nights. I don't know why, but I'll take it!

I'm going to try to follow all of your advice and see if it helps. I have to continue to pump the next week or so. I will only pump one side and then mix the bottles so that he's not getting too much foremilk. If only my LO didn't have such gas he would be a great sleeper! I will also pull back on the pacifier because I think he's reliant on it and it just creates more problems with nipple confusion. I'm glad he just started taking it it on his 3rd month and not any time sooner or else it might have been a bigger problem with nursing.