Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cold turkey or weaned off?

Question Cold turkey or weaned off?

My baby was born 8 weeks early and her due date was just 5 days ago. We've had several issues with breastfeeding but she does ok (not great) at it now. We've been supplementing her after every feeding with EMB, letting her decide how much to take. I had had low supply and been pumping to get it back up. Now I pump as much or a little more than she takes in her supplement bottles after I feed her, so I've got enough. I really want to breastfeed exclusively and eliminate bottles all together. My question is which way to do this? I've read about nursing on demand and staying in bed with your baby for 24 hours, going cold turkey from bottles. Is this an acceptable way or would it be better to slowly wean her off bottles by setting a definate amount in her supplements and then slowly decreasing it? Maybe a combination of both? I was going to start the 24 hour thing today but Im afraid if it doesnt work I'll get discouraged. I'm pretty tired and fighting off a small case of PPD, and I don't want to just give up and bottle feed her to get sleep. Does anyone have any advice or opinions on this? Any tips/experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Cold turkey or weaned off?

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Willowsmom
    My question is which way to do this? I've read about nursing on demand and staying in bed with your baby for 24 hours, going cold turkey from bottles. Is this an acceptable way or would it be better to slowly wean her off bottles by setting a definate amount in her supplements and then slowly decreasing it? Maybe a combination of both?

That would depend. How much in total supplements is she taking?

If it's more than 3-4 ounces per day, you might consider the weaning method. You can do this as slowly or as quickly as your baby adjusts. If it's around 3 ounces are less, you might consider trying the 24 hours in bed thing (Remember to nurse, eat, sleep, drink, and go to the bathroom ONLY...just generally "veg out" with your baby). Either way, pay close attention to her output. What goes in, must come out. And be prepared to nurse more often and for longer periods for a few days.

Have you contacted your local LLL Leader for support?

Keep us updated!

Default Re: Cold turkey or weaned off?

Sadly there is not an LLL leader for 2 hours
    Yesterday I started the 24 hour thing at about 4:30 pm. Her diapers were fine until 10:30 this morning. After 2 unwet diapers I am giving her a bottle so she doesnt get too dehydrated. But I see now that Ive been doing this wrong, I hadnt been staying in bed with her because she's on an apnea monitor and I have nothing for her to sleep in in bed with me and I was afraid me or my hubby would roll over on her. I had been holding her for up to an hour and putting her back in her bassinet when I couldnt stay awake.
    Maybe I should try a combo of breastfeeding and weaning by just reducing the number of bottles everyday instead of eliminating them suddenly. So what about this? If I bf her exclusively in the daytime keeping a close eye on her diaper output, and then supplement her at night with bottles? I could slowly reduce those night bottles, weaning her off that way. She had been taking up to 1 1/2 oz supplements. Not all the time mind you, most often it was 1/2 to 2/3 oz. I really thought she'd be ok bf only, but I think her problem is that she falls asleep nursing and cant be awoken. Until that can be resolved, it's more important for her to stay hydrated and healthy than to just bf exclusivley. Please let me know what you think of my idea? Possible? A good idea/bad idea? Thanks!