Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HuffPost Story Query - Breastfeeding/Maternity Leave

Default Re: HuffPost Story Query - Breastfeeding/Maternity Leave

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*raidensmamma View Post
    Im experencing MANY difficulties in the work place right now. My son is my 5th baby and I did the work thing different with each of them. Id be happy to talk with you.

-Jenn
    I took the phone numbers out of your post, but you can send them to her via PM or email.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

PM me if you like
    I took 14 weeks leave. 6 of which were covered by STD, the rest was unpaid. My DD has never received a drop of formula, she's now 3 and still nursing. Pumping is a pain, but formula feeding was never an option.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Happy to help!

I took 12 weeks off and continued to nurse. I pumped at work and am very proud of the fact that my daughter never had a drop of formula, but that wasn't without a lot of work and some struggle. But all worth it - and I'd do it ALL again.

Me too, and it was no easy task to take off 12 weeks. I had to get my husband to donate leave, etc., so I could be paid. I think the maternity leave policies in this country are a CRIME! Especially in my field of early intervention, they should KNOW BETTER, and we still only got 6 weeks and even at that you had to use up your sick leave time or go unpaid. When I went back I had to take several unpaid days when my son was sick, etc.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

If you are still looking for participants I would be happy to help. Send me a PM and we will go from there!

A little bit about me and my breastfeeding experience. I went back to work at 12 weeks post partum, after 6 weeks disability leave and 6 weeks paid family leave from the state of California. I am originally from the UK and was pretty heartbroken at the lack of concern to give women time off after birth to create Mother-Child bonds (and the lack of time off for the Father too). It really seems like the US is setting up most women to fail at breastfeeding with only 6 weeks disability (8 if you had a c-section). It is just not long enough to create a good breastfeeding relationship and so a lot of women I've spoken to gave up very early because they were going back to work in a few weeks and it would be difficult to sort out arrangements for them to pump at work. It also seems like there is SO much concern to make sure that any woman who becomes pregnant be forced to carry through a pregnancy and then absolutely no support or concern for her or the child once they are born.

I agree with a previous poster. A big part of whether a woman succeeds at breastfeeding while working is if they have an understanding and flexible employer. I am very lucky, my boss has been very understanding (although he is starting to lose patience with my need to pump several times a day, I don't think he realised that I meant it when I said I was going to breastfeed. I also think he doesn't realise that women are advised is to breastfeed to 12 months if you don't want to use formula).

Like I said, feel free to PM me if you are still needing more interview participants.
    Last edited by @llli*Parlay; June 21st, 2011 at 12:23 PM.