Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HuffPost Story Query - Breastfeeding/Maternity Leave

Default HuffPost Story Query - Breastfeeding/Maternity Leave

Hi everyone,

My name is Catherine and I'm a health reporter with The Huffington Post. I'm working on a story about the length of time women take for maternity leave and whether or not they breastfeed. If anyone would be willing to do a quick phone or e-mail interview lending your perspective to the piece, please message me. I'm interested in hearing from people who continued breastfeeding after they went back to work, as well as those who didn't, to try and suss out whether shorter maternity leaves make it more difficult for women to breastfeed. I'd like to learn more about what -- if any -- some of the potential pressures and difficulties are.

Many thanks for letting me post here and, of course, for any help you're able to provide.

Warmly,
    Catherine

Default Re: HuffPost Story Query - Breastfeeding/Maternity Leave

I live in the US now but experienced maternity leave in the UK, where they have much better maternity benefits than here. Not sure if that's of any help?
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

I'm willing to do an email interview, but prefer to do it through PM here. You can PM me with your questions.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

With both children I returned to work when baby was 12 weeks old. For baby #1 I pumped until he was 16 mo old, for baby #2 I pumped until he was 14 mo old. Both children continued to breastfeed long after that.

I think the biggest contribution to my success being able to breastfeed / pump as work was a VERY flexible employer and boss. I was able to work somewhat flexible hours, and telecommute several days a week. Plus I had (still have) a SUPER boss who breastfed her own children and is sympathetic with all her staff about work/life balance and the needs of one's family.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I would be willing to be interviewed. As one of the PPs said I would prefer to do it through PM on here. I am still nursing my 2 year old. I pumped for a little over a year for him and I went back to work at 12 weeks. As I said feel free to PM me.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I sent you a message with my phone number and email.

Happy to help!

I took 12 weeks off and continued to nurse. I pumped at work and am very proud of the fact that my daughter never had a drop of formula, but that wasn't without a lot of work and some struggle. But all worth it - and I'd do it ALL again.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

I went back to work full time at about 14 weeks with my son and it didn't really work. I went back at 8 weeks with my daughter but only part time. No problems at all there. I had some other issues with my son and supply but I could not have worked the schedule and type of work I did and pump/exclusively breastfeed even if I hadn't.

Phones are bad for me. I am either working or surrounded by toddlers who need my attention but happy to e-mail. I will send you a PM.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I'm willing to do an email interview, but prefer to do it through PM here. You can PM me with your questions.
    ^ This. I'll be happy to answer questions through PM. I will say briefly that I took 12 weeks of with my first baby, and 10 with my second. I pumped at work until my supply dried up due to pregnancy when my son was 9 mos; I was able to nurse part-time an additional 2 months until he didn't want to anymore. My daughter is now 4.5 mos old and going strong. I pump twice a day at work, providing enough milk for her needs the next day with the occasional spare. Let me know by PM if you have further questions. Hope this helps!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Im experencing MANY difficulties in the work place right now. My son is my 5th baby and I did the work thing different with each of them. Id be happy to talk with you.

-Jenn
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; May 26th, 2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: removed phone numbers
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

I nursed my son for 21 months. I took an 8-week maternity leave, and pumped at work until he was 10-ish months old. I ended up changing jobs when he was 4 months old because I could see that I was not going to be able to pump at work with any consistency. I came to work at a place that offered me much more flexibility in terms of schedule, and once I stopped pumping (sometimes before) my son's dad brought him to me at work to nurse if needed. Going back to work when I did was necessary, but I really felt that I'd just gotten the hang of nursing at that point.

I'll also PM you.

Paula