Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work won't provide dedicated room...

Default Re: Work won't provide dedicated room...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkylucy View Post
    i bet it was!
    I dont have a helpful solution just a bit of a question, i honestly dont understand why you would need locked pumping rooms, in my country NIP is not an issue, so neither is "PIP" (?) not so much in public as... well the women I know usually go to the restroom and jut do it, i know its a completely different culture and that you feel you need your privacy but... well, no matter what the circumstances are i think its great youre pumping to provide milk to your LO whiel youre away, its much better than formula, I hope you find a solution to your problem
    I have no problem NIP, but I think being caught pumping, with your nipples being sucked into a machine, is SO EMBARRASSING! I don't know what it is about that, but I definitely worried about privacy when I was pumping.

I second the nursing cover idea. That way no one can see the details of what's going on. And truly, other people are more embarrassed by it than I am, usually, so they only make that mistake once!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I have no problem NIP, but I think being caught pumping, with your nipples being sucked into a machine, is SO EMBARRASSING! I don't know what it is about that, but I definitely worried about privacy when I was pumping.

I second the nursing cover idea. That way no one can see the details of what's going on. And truly, other people are more embarrassed by it than I am, usually, so they only make that mistake once!
    yeah i think theyd be more embarrased than you and try to look away and drop sth while theyre trying to play it cool

After I went back to work with DS1, I pumped in my cubicle with a nursing cover over the front, and a sweater (long sweater jacket that opens like a robe). I did that for 19 months, and pumped through impromptu meetings in my cube, vendor visits, etc. I even remember pumping when working with a consultant, and he had no idea what was going on until I pulled a bottle of milk out from under my cover. I had to pump in the "mothers room" a few times, and hated it.

I just started back to work today after being on leave for DS2. I had planned on using the much nicer mothers room this time, but when I went to check it out, noticed it was booked up all day. So I defaulted to a nursing cover and my cubicle. The cube I am in now has low walls and is much more open, but I managed to pump with no one noticing (they could hear the pump but that was all). I am planning on coordinating with some of the people that have offices to schedule time to pump in an office though when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    I am very up front when I have to pump. The time is scheduled in the computer system, and I usually announce to everyone where I am going. This is partially out of necessity, but also helps with privacy.
    That's what I do. Tell my staff I am going to pump and where I'm going, since I do it in our consult room and I don't want them bringing clients in there on me.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Me too. I have nursed EVERYWHERE you can possibly think of, in front of practically anyone you can think of, and I nursed toddlers while pregnant in public. You would think PIP would not embarrass me, but it does. I think it's because nursing is normal; that's the way babies are supposed to be fed, and in an ideal world, all babies would not be separated from mom for at least a year so nursing could be uninterrupted (granted, that would not solve my current situation with a cleft baby). Pumping is not normal or natural, so I need privacy when I do it. NIP covers your breast -- you can't see anything with baby's head in front of you -- but PIP...it's all hanging out
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!