Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help...baby can only fall asleep nursing

Default Please help...baby can only fall asleep nursing

My baby is 7 months old and I work full-time. She can ONLY fall asleep while nursing. This is not that big of a deal during the night as we cosleep (though she is up pretty much every hour and I am always exhausted). The problem is she cannot nap now during the day...not at all! What can I do? I would like to avoid CIO, but also feel miserable that she feels so tired during the day.

Please, please help me! I feel like a terrible mom. Wish I could stay home with my girl!

Default Re: Please help...baby can only fall asleep nursing

How is your daycare provider trying to help her fall asleep right now? How about a walk in a stroller?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My mom used to swaddle my DD and rock her to sleep in a rocking chair, holding her tightly. I never swaddled her, so it was a lot different than she was used to.

ETA: DH used to walk her around to get her to fall asleep. I don't think my MIL was ever able to get her to sleep. Those were the 3 caregivers.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

First, you're not a terrible Mom. You're doing great by cosleepig and nursing on demand when your baby needs you.

Leaving your little one with someone else is devastating, especially in the beginning, so your anxiety and sadness is pretty normal. . Your baby will get more used to being with other people. REally. And she'll learn that you're always coming back for her, and probably relax a little during the time you're gone.

My DH was most successful just rocking, rocking and rocking our little guy to sleep. The first few weeks were not easy, but they got into a routine.

Keep up the good work.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Don't feel bad, you're a great mom.

The only way DB can make DD sleep is by giving her the paci and rock her and kind of jump on the bed sitting down while holding her in front of the fan.
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Don't feel bad, my 6 yr old was and my 8 mo old is like that. I work full time and DH is a SAHD. what's worked for us is that he'll lie with the baby and snuggle with her while giving a bottle. They've both fell asleep that way most of the time. Would it be an option for DCP to try laying down with your LO and giving a bottle at nap time?