Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: let down problems maybe? maybe supply?

Unhappy let down problems maybe? maybe supply?

Hi,

I've been back to work for 4 weeks now and i have to pump two of my baby's feedings. I am only able to pump 3-4 oz total each time and 2-4 oz in the middle of the night, however my baby drinks 6-7 oz during these two feedings away from me. I've tried pretty much everything from massage, heat, music, pics, baby blanket, fenugreek, and nothing works. The Fenugreek did increase my supply quite a bit but I cant pump the extra, i'm still quite full after pumping. I end up pumping twice during work for 20-30 mins and nurse my baby on my lunch break. I have the Lactina from WIC and now also have rented the Symphony which hasnt been any different. Any other helpful tips would be greatly appreciated as i do not want to start giving my baby formula and my back-up supply is almost out.

Default Re: let down problems maybe? maybe supply?

Just to be clear, each time you pump you get 3-4 oz? And your baby is taking 6-7oz per feeding? So you have been doing a middle of the night pumping session which yields 2-4 oz?

Is that right?

And how many hours are you away from your baby?
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I am away 8 hours total, two chunks of 4 hours (I nurse at lunch). And yes you are right about my output. It does take quite a long time to pump that little amount and I'm only suppose to take 20 min twice a day at work to pump so I feel rushed and its very very hard to change my mindset. Also my output decreases a little each day. I dread telling my husband about it cuz he thinks we need to add formula and that I should try just pumping one day only and give our son the expressed milk to see how much I'm producing (which I told him wasnt a good idea, but he doesnt understand).

Well, someone is overfeeding your baby. A breastfed baby needs about 1-1.5oz milk per hour away from mama. 3-4oz is pretty good pump output actually. And coincidentally just the right amount for your baby.

Many people (especially inexperienced care givers) feed babies too much. Partly because it is an easy way to keep a baby quiet. Partly because babies really need to suck for reasons other than getting food so it can seem like they are still hungry (especially if the milk drains too fast - so either a non-slow flow nipple or an older slow flow nipple).

20 mins is not much time to be able to pump but if you keep everything in the fridge and don't wash all the pieces and parts every time that helps cut down the amount of time you need.

I am really sorry your husband is not being supportive about this. Why does he want to give your baby formula?

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thanks, thats the first time I felt I was actually doing it right. My husband wants to give our baby formula to help supplement when the baby is away from me, he doesnt fully understand how feeding works so its frustrating at times.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nkopp View Post
    Thanks, thats the first time I felt I was actually doing it right. My husband wants to give our baby formula to help supplement when the baby is away from me, he doesnt fully understand how feeding works so its frustrating at times.
    You ARE doing it right, mama! Sorry you aren't getting the kind of support you need at home

It sounds like you're producing plenty! As PP mentioned, 3-4 oz per pumping during the day is a pretty good output, and definitely sufficient for your baby's feeding needs. If your baby has sucking needs beyond this, cuddles and maybe a pacifier would be a better option than overfeeding (and 6-7 oz during the time chunks you're away is definitely overfeeding your baby). Just to give you an idea: I'm away from my baby for about 4 hours during the day. I nurse her before I leave and when I return (but often not immediately). During that time, I pump about 3-4 oz, and that's the amount she's given in the bottle. She's 7.5 months old, and this has been the routine from 8 weeks on...no need for increased ounces for a breastfed baby

Does your husband know that pumping output isn't a reliable indicator of a baby's milk intake?
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

DH's (and MIL's and often moms) often don't understand that demand really does equal supply. I am so sorry.

This is a great link (which has a printable version) about bottle feeding a breastfed baby

This link
    lets you know more about how much babies actually eat.

It is hard working away from a small baby and not having adequate support makes it even harder. There is probably not much you can do about work being strict with the 20 minute rule, but you can tall your DH how much it would mean to you for him to educate himself just a little on breastfeeding and how it works/why it is best.

If you are feeling better about your pumping output you might find that it goes back up. Stress really makes it much harder to pump. So relax, look at pics of your baby. Know that you are doing great. Because you are.

Family beds are awesome

You are totally doing it right.

I too believe it's the comfort sucking what is missing. Pacifiers have helped us A LOT while I'm away.
    Yai

Mamá de Aini 19-09-10 (or, for my English speaking folks: 09-19-10)

Pregúntame sobre pañales de tela Ask me about cloth diapers!

Thank you all for your help and support, it means alot to me and its a big relief to know you're all here . I had one last question, after I pump I'm still very full, I have big knots in my breasts still and I can never fully drain them while pumping.

Are you doing breast compressions? They can help with that. Also if you have access to a microwave you can make some nice warm rice socks and that can help a lot with that too.

Family beds are awesome