Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mastitis question

Default mastitis question

I am a week into breastfeeding and already have mastitis. I have a couple of questions.

How long does a fever last with this? I woke up at 2am Sunday and now it's Monday and my fever is still going up and down. I have been on antibiotics since 3am that Sunday.

Also my milk supply in the infected breast is way less than it was. I was getting 2-3 oz per pump and now it barely fills the bottom of the bottle.

I had a c-section and my inner incision seems to be hurting more than usual, and my pain meds don't really even help. Can a mastitis infection spread to another part of your body?

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by lgliser; October 30th, 2006 at 07:37 PM.

Default Re: mastitis question

So sorry you are not feeling well. I had Mastitis my first week home from a section also. In my case the fever ( 104) took about three days to clear up. You did not mention if you are nursing and pumping or pumping exclusively. If you are nursing - nurse from the infected breast as often as possible. The infection will clear so much quicker. You will also ensure you are establishing your supply. Also enlist the help of a loved one to sterilize your pump parts ( you stay in bed! ) The following is a link with some great info. Get lots of rest. I hope you are feeling better soon. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/22blo..._mastitis.html

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

Default Re: mastitis question

Thanks so much for the reply! That link was very helpful.

I am nursing. However, I had triplets and so they're preemies (they will be 35 wks tomorrow). So they're not really strong enough to completely be nursing. For now we're sort of just practicing. And they're doing really well considering their size!

Also, them being in the NICU makes it tough to rest, but the nurses are very supportive of taking care of me so I can take care of them. So I've been coming home after visiting them in the morning.

Thanks again very much!