Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: losing my supply? x-posted

Default losing my supply? x-posted

At the beginning of the month I got an IUD. I bled for a few days due to insertion then stopped. For the past two weeks I have been bleeding again with cramps like I am on my period but the bleeding is very light). My dr says this is normal and my cycle coud be messed up for up to 6 months. The past couple weeks my supply has seemed to slowly dwindle. I went from pumping 18 ounces on average at work to pumping 11 today (in a 10 hour period - 3 sessions). My DS is 16 weeks. He has still been eating 12-18 per work day so my supply of frozen milk is slowly being depleted. When I am home (I work only 3 days a week) he has been eating every two hours except at night. I have been drinking mother's milk tea 1 time daily for 2 weeks. This used to make me engorged. I started with 2 cups today because of my measly amount of pumped milk. I have also been eating oatmeal for breakfast and downing the water (at least 64 ounces). Could the IUD/"periods" be affecting my supply? Is there anything else I can do to increase my supply? I don;t want to slowly dry up. I want tp nurse until at least 12-15 months.
    I don;t have time to pump more than I currently am, my job is very busy and I am lucky to get the amount of sessions I already get. In the past with this many sessions, I was pumping an average of 14-16 ounces a day - sometimes as much as 20. I didn't have a problem when the IUD was first placed, only when I started bleeding - could it be that I am having a sort of period and that is affecting my supply? I hate to have the IUD removed because it cost over 1000 to put into place so I would like to try as many other things as possible first. If it is the IUD, will taking things such as the mother's milk tea or drinking lots of water etc. not help? Will my supply continue to dwindle or can I get it stabilized at a higher level than it is currently by taking these other measures? Thanks so much for your help.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: losing my supply? x-posted

Is it a copper IUD or hormonal (i.e., Mirena)?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

It is a mirena. I took BC pills before this and my milk supply didn't go down at all. I took the pills to make sure there wouldn't be any problems with the IUD

DS since 1/30/11

anybody have advice? I pumped three times today so far for a total of 8 ounces. My baby has eaten 11 ounces so far from the DCP. I think that may be too much, but he is being fed on demand (at least that is what they say). He seems to do fine on the days that I am home with him myself and gets enough wets and poops (it seems, but maybe I should count).

DS since 1/30/11