Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Having a rough time!!!

Default Having a rough time!!!

I'm trying hard not to give up breastfeeding altogether. My son is 5 months old and weighs 16 lbs. He has been breastfed since birth. We are on a three hr schedule and he has been sleeping through the night since 10 weeks. We live in a very small space and my husband works shift work...sleep was incredibly important to us. Anyway we are on a three hr schedule and up until two weeks ago he would wake up, eat and then be very happy. Smiling and laughing and very satisfied..Then the opposite occurred. He would feed and then scream and hit and wasn't satisfied until i gave him a supplement.. Then happy again. I found out a week ago that I'm pregnant and heard that could make my supply go down. I'm worried its a combination of him sleeping all night, and the fact that when he was breastfeeding he never fed for more than 6 or 7 mn on each breast. (all my friends babies breastfeed for 30 mn) if we get to 11 we did good. Is there anything i can do to start producing more.. does fenugreek work and can i take it while im pregnant? I'm trying to drink lots of water but I've been nautious and dry heaving for about 2 weeks now. I NEED HELP! Lactation consultants aren't really an option where im living.

Default Re: Having a rough time!!!

Hi mama! Check out the Breastfeeding While Pregnant section of this forum. Unfortunately, supplements won't help you increase your milk if you're pregnant. Your supply goes down because of hormones, not because you need to nurse more. And fenugreek is not advised for pregnant (sorry, wrote the wrong thing before) moms. Basically, if pregnancy makes your supply go down, there's not much you can do about it.

Many moms see their supply go down when they get pregnant, and if their babies are still young, may have to supplement. Definitely watch your baby's diaper output, to see if he's getting enough to eat. You want 5-6 wet diapers a day, I think. If he's dipping below that, you'll have to supplement. That doesn't mean you have to stop breastfeeding, of course, you may make less milk, but you still make milk.

I do think your issues have to do with the pregnancy, and not with your baby sleeping through the night or not nursing long enough. Newborns may nurse for 30 minutes at a time, but many five month old babies can get enough in 6 or 7 minutes. I know my baby was a five minute wonder at that age, and so distractible! So that sounds normal to me, but the reality is - the majority of women see a significant drop in supply with pregnancy. Sorry!

Congratulations on your new pregnancy!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Default Re: Having a rough time!!!

with the PP.

One thing I noticed is that your baby is on a 3 hour schedule. Is that schedule something he spontaneously developed, or did you push for it? Either way, now is probably the time to give it up, since the more often you nurse the more milk you'll make. This doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to do without supplements, though: pregnancy pretty much kills supply for a lot of mamas. And it also doesn't guarantee a good stretch of sleep at night. At 5 months, a lot of babies are teething pretty hard, and even the good sleepers start night-waking again.

Regardless of whether or not you need to supplement, you do not need to stop nursing. Whatever amount of milk you produce is good for your baby. And while many moms are told that they must wean during pregnancy, it's not true unless the mom in question is at risk for preterm labor.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"