Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Waiting period after narcotics

Question Waiting period after narcotics

I fell down the stairs and I'm in the ER. I was in alot of pain and in a moment of poor judgement I let the doctors give me morphine and dilaudid (sp?). Does anyone know how I can find out how long I need to pump and dump before I can nurse again? I'm not sure I can trust the ER doctors on that. Thanks!

Default Re: Waiting period after narcotics

How long are they telling you? I was given Morphine during my delivery and I was not told to wait any length of time to feed my baby.

Way too lazy for formula

The nurse told me to pump and dump, but didn't say how long. I'm still waiting to see the doctor after xray. I'm just terrified I'll drug my baby through my milk. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Thanks for the fast reply! That does make me feel better!

12 hours. My son isn't crazy about bottles, but he will take them. It will be a tough 12 hours. I just want to snuggle and nurse him when I get out of here. At least I've got a good freezer stash.

I personally wouldn't wait that long. I've had two c-sections, and I nursed both babies throughout while taking different narcotics for pain - oxycontin, percocet, lortab. The morphine should be fine - it is pretty short-acting - but I would ask about the dilaudid.

I would contact infantrisk - I think the link is www.infantrisk.com
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

There's also a phone number you can call to find out what the effects are with certain medicines + breastfeeding. I had to use it a while ago and I was pleased with their professionalism and how thorough they were. I actually saved the number in my phone for just in case and so I could share it. . .

It's 806-352-2519.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Thanks SO much everyone! All the info totally helped calm my nerves. I got called back into the ER this morning so I had to wait longer than the 12 hrs anyway. We're back to nursing again and couldn't be happier. I'm finally off work for the summer and was so stoked about ditching the bottles, then this.

I need surgery on my foot tomorrow, so I've programmed the number for infantrisk into my phone and bookmarked the webpage so that I can check into anything that they have to give me for surgery. Thanks again; you ladies are the BEST!