Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will taking sudafed reduce my supply?

Default Will taking sudafed reduce my supply?

Hi,

I hoping someone else has has experience with taking sudafed while nursing.
    I've been sick the for more than a week and I didn't initially have to take any medication. Until about 4 days ago when I had a fever of 104 which would not break. I had to alternate between Tylenol and advil per my doc. I did that for about 3 days and my supply has dropped a lot since. My fever is finally gone so I stopped taking the tylenol and advil for about half a day now. Supply is still bad.

Anyways, I still feel super congested and my ears won't pop... Feel like I just got off a plane. It's been like this for almost 2 days. My doc suggested claritin-D but also said it would reduce my supply.

I read on kellmom that a decongestant I could take safely would be like sudafed. Should I try it? I don't want my supply to drop even more.

Also, do you think the Tylenol and/or Advil reduced my supply? Or just the mere fact that i was so sick.

My LO is almost 6 months.

Thanks ! Appreciate any thoughts!

Default Re: Will taking sudafed reduce my supply?

From what I"ve heard, Sudafed can cause quite the drop in your supply. I would talk to your doc about taking it, maybe they have a suggested alternative?
    If you are already having supply issues, I might be wary of taking it!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Basically, yes, decongestants like Sudafed (pseudoephedrine, which is an ingredient in Claritin-D) can reduce supply.

How much it affects supply, and for how long, seems to vary from mom to mom.

For me: Well, I can take a Sudafed here and there, without problems. But keep in mind, I had oversupply at first, and my supply was always ample. I think if you've suffered from low supply, or if you feel that you have a very sensitive supply, it might be worth to exhaust your other options first - I find the Neti pot with saline solution to be a lifesaver, and it works better than Sudafed for me as far as trying to keep a sinus infection at bay. If you do decide to try some Claritin-D, start with a very low dose, and watch your baby's diaper output. And drink LOTS of water, it's very dehydrating.

Hope you feel better soon!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

phenylephrine is considered better while breastfeeding

I'd also REALLY recommend doing sinus rinse / neti pot - there is a bit of an "eww" factor to get over, but it's a HUGE help!

I've also used nasal decongestants like Afrin.

lots of resources here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I agree with the neti pot suggestion. Sudafed also makes me crazy. I'd be worried it would hype my DD.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I'd be worried it would hype my DD.
    I worry about this too. And that is the LAST THING I NEED. There's a reason that one of Joe's many nicknames is "Cup o' Joe."

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I worry about this too. And that is the LAST THING I NEED. There's a reason that one of Joe's many nicknames is "Cup o' Joe."
    Hahaha. I think of him every time the stupid recycling and trash trucks storm by and wake up Clea.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Wow - thanks ladies. I literally posted this while on my iphone while in bed, fell asleep for a nap and woke up to so many responses!

I'm actually not overall worried about my supply being low. I mean, I was when I first started breastfeeding, but its been really great supplywise from month 2 until now. My LO nurses on demand (usually around 3hours or so) and takes some bottles at daycare. I am usually able to pump 15 oz during the time that I am away from him and he usually only takes about 12 oz at daycare.

Anyways, I've just become worried about my supply since I've been sick. I mean, I've sick for more then 10 days but only started to take medicine for my fever a few days ago, so I think the drop in supply is the fact that I took tylenol/advil (alternating) to bring my fever down from 104!!!! and it took about 3 days to bring it down.

Now my issue is the congestion, but I don't want to risk another dip in output while I am trying to get back my output... I tried the neti pot. Funny though, the saline solution didn't pour out of the other nostril.. haha.... I tried many times and even had DH help me with the way I was tilting my head... NOTHING. I also tried saline sprays.

I will just keep drinking lots of water and rest up and see if the congestion goes away. I'm actually not that bothered by a stuffy nose, its the fact that my ears are feeling plugged... I can't hear properly... I tried so many things, but they won't pop. If they would just pop, I could deal with the congestion..

Thanks again for all the posts! You ladies are the BEST!

Actually, there is a version of Sudafed on the shelf that is phenylephrine, which is ok. Just read the label. I am not sure pseudoephedrine Sudafed is even out from behind the pharmacists counter anymore.

Per kellymom:

Many meds have been reformulated so they no longer contain pseudoephedrine -- they're using phenylephrine instead. Per Hale, "Because of pseudoephedrine's effect on milk production, many have concerns that phenylephrine may suppress milk production as well. There is no evidence that this occurs at all."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bbbsmama View Post
    Now my issue is the congestion, but I don't want to risk another dip in output while I am trying to get back my output... I tried the neti pot. Funny though, the saline solution didn't pour out of the other nostril.. haha.... I tried many times and even had DH help me with the way I was tilting my head... NOTHING. I also tried saline sprays.
    You know you are WAY congested when the water won't come out the other side! You have to keep trying, and eventually, the warm saline will break through to the other side, trust me.

Advil and tylenol should not have any impact on your supply. But being really sick and feverish CAN have an impact. Anyway, use your judgment, mama, I think you've had really good advice here. Those really bad sicknesses are the worst, we've all been there.

You can call me JoMo!