Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many times a day to feed a 2-month old?

Default How many times a day to feed a 2-month old?

How many times a day are you supposed to feed a 2-month old (or older)? Do you keep up the 8-12 times a day from the first six weeks? Or is it OK to have fewer feedings?

Also, how long can a 2-month old go between feedings? My baby slept six hours straight yesterday for the first time (I offered the breast in her sleep, which she usually takes, but she didn't want it). Is this normal?

Thanks!

Default Re: How many times a day to feed a 2-month old?

Most moms needs to feed their babies at least 8 times per day when the babies are just 2 months old. Some will need to feed them more than that, and a few will be able to nurse less. As long as you're feeding on demand and your baby is producing adequate diapers and gaining adequate weight, the number of feeds probably isn't that important.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've been blessed with a couple of sleepers; the six hour thing is fine, as long as the pees/poops/weight gain are fine.

By 2 mos, mine were nursing 7-8 times per day.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks, that's a relief! I was wondering if my baby would be too hungry or thirsty... she seemed totally fine after and has been pooping and peeing as usual. I'll find out the weight gain at the 2-month visit soon...

Enjoy the six hours!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    Thanks, that's a relief! I was wondering if my baby would be too hungry or thirsty... she seemed totally fine after and has been pooping and peeing as usual. I'll find out the weight gain at the 2-month visit soon...
    Sounds great! I have a 2 month old too and have been shocked at how well she sleeps. But man am I enjoying it while it lasts! One thing I noticed though is that my babe ramped up her desire to nurse throughout the day as she slept for longer stretches at night. So she's perma attached during waking hours but I'll take it!
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

I have a 10 week old and I can honestly say that I have no idea how many times a day I feed her. I feed her completely on demand and sometimes it'll be 30 min later and sometimes 3 hours later. I just follow her lead. You're lucky your LO sleeps for 6 hours at night!! Our longest stretch has been 4 hours Also, my LO doesn't poop every day, which is normal. So as long as your DD is gaining weight and eating/latching well, I wouldn't worry

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmanih View Post
    How many times a day are you supposed to feed a 2-month old (or older)? Do you keep up the 8-12 times a day from the first six weeks? Or is it OK to have fewer feedings?

Also, how long can a 2-month old go between feedings? My baby slept six hours straight yesterday for the first time (I offered the breast in her sleep, which she usually takes, but she didn't want it). Is this normal?

Thanks!
    My son is 10 weeks old. He started sleeping through the nights at 8 weeks, a few times a week. He usually sleeps from 930-10 till 6am. Sometimes waking up at 4am fussing around, but puts himself to sleep. I was told not to ever wake a sleeping baby, so until he wakes up, I let him lay there. He knows when he is hungry. I got blessed, I guess. He then eats pretty much all morning it seems. about 6am, 730, 9, 1130, 1, 3, 6, and then last again around 830-9. Its all on your baby. If the baby is hungry, you will know it!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Most moms needs to feed their babies at least 8 times per day when the babies are just 2 months old. Some will need to feed them more than that, and a few will be able to nurse less. As long as you're feeding on demand and your baby is producing adequate diapers and gaining adequate weight, the number of feeds probably isn't that important.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kayleemama View Post
    I have a 10 week old and I can honestly say that I have no idea how many times a day I feed her. I feed her completely on demand and sometimes it'll be 30 min later and sometimes 3 hours later. I just follow her lead. You're lucky your LO sleeps for 6 hours at night!! Our longest stretch has been 4 hours Also, my LO doesn't poop every day, which is normal. So as long as your DD is gaining weight and eating/latching well, I wouldn't worry
    just keep bfeeding on demand, mama! you'll probably find that your LO goes through different stages of sleep, different types of poop, etc. Sounds like you're doing great.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it