Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about exclusively pumping

Default Re: Question about exclusively pumping

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duaeguttae View Post

A book that is very helpful (or at least was to me) is [I]Exclusively Pumping Breast Milk[I] by Stephanie Casemore (http://www.exclusivelypumping.com/. It gives you a realistic view of the matter, as well as pros and cons. (Yes, there are even pros to pumping, but there's a high cost to those pros.) It's not a long read, but a very valuable reference. (She's not a medical professional, by the way, but she wrote the book from her experience and what she learned from others.)

If you really are going to EP you really have to start immediately. A hospital-grade pump like the Medela Symphony is the best way to establish supply. (That's too expensive to buy, though.) Call your hospital where you will deliver and see if they will provide a breast pump while you are in recovery. Mine did (though it wasn't a symphony.)

Just so you know, pumping costs are high. You need parts for your pump, bottles, bags, etc. Of course, if you're breastfeeding and pumping, you'll need all those things as well, just perhaps not so many.
    I also found the book an interesting read and would also suggest it. If you can, though, get it via the library. I thought it was kind of expensive to buy via Amazon.

I have been totally stunned at just how expensive EPing is. Nobody ever mentioned that to me when we got started. That's partly because my baby requires these very expensive nipples to eat with. It starts with the hospital grade pump rental fee or purchase -- a Symphony is about $1200-1600 to purchase -- and then all the parts. I spent probably $60 on horns; I bought the PumpinPals and hated them, and so I kept buying different sizes hoping to find the right ones. Then bigger bottles because 5 oz ones are too small. Spare this and that. It all adds up. Faster than I anticipated.

The other shocker was just how big a diaper bag I needed. Having to haul around a pump (Freestyle) and that stuff, along with bottles, in addition to diapers, has been a big change. I went through about 5 diaper bags until I found one big enough that actually works for us; it was custom made by a mama here, actually.

The time factor also kills me. I have had people tell me that I must save time by not having to nurse, but I really don't. I can see how it might save time for someone who is WOTH and then has someone else to help with baby at night though, absolutely. No cluster nursings to deal with. I can see that as a benefit.

Now, to try to put baby down and hope he stays asleep so I can pump. That's the difficult part. Babies aren't meant to be apart from mom when mom is there.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well ladies, after much thought and consideration, I'm gonna give BF a try. I've been talking to someone I work with and she, along with you guys, have convinced me to at least try it. Even if it doesn't work for me and my baby, I can always fall back on pumping. You guys have been so supportive and have provided such wonderful information about both BF and EP. I'm so thankful I found this website! I know once we start down this path, I will have many, many more questions and thankfully, I will know where to look for answers.

That's wonderful to hear! I think you have a great attitude towards it- give it a try, see if you like it, and if not, fall back on the EP plan. We'll be here for you, whichever path you take.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

glad to know youll give it a shot and also glad to know that if BF doesnt work out for you your baby will still get BM! i really think its great, as you know you might have a rough start but I think that nothing beats rolling over half asleep and nursing your baby at night... and its totally worth it

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*milkylucy View Post
    glad to know youll give it a shot and also glad to know that if BF doesnt work out for you your baby will still get BM! i really think its great, as you know you might have a rough start but I think that nothing beats rolling over half asleep and nursing your baby at night... and its totally worth it
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    That's wonderful to hear! I think you have a great attitude towards it- give it a try, see if you like it, and if not, fall back on the EP plan. We'll be here for you, whichever path you take.
    I will tell you BFing is NOT easy at the beginning. Many moms struggle for the first 6-8 weeks. But don't give up. We will walk you through! Look into finding a good IBCLC NOW for hands-on help. Don't rely on just whatever help your hospital or MW may give you.

I am so excited for you BFing is more than just giving the baby milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I will tell you BFing is NOT easy at the beginning. Many moms struggle for the first 6-8 weeks. But don't give up. We will walk you through! Look into finding a good IBCLC NOW for hands-on help. Don't rely on just whatever help your hospital or MW may give you.

Yay! Good for you!!!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post

I'm so worried about a correct latch and then going from BF to bottle feeding when I return to work. Heck, lets face it, I'm worried about everything! I'm a first time Mom! Thankfully, I have you guys to help me out and I'm gonna utilize my local Health Department as much as possible. I'm hoping everything goes smoothly the first few weeks so I don't feel so worthless if she doesn't take to BF right away. I suffer from anxiety anyway so I can feel a panic attack coming on just think about it.

There are many ways to make sure BFing and bottle feeding can be compatible. There are MANY moms here who do both. I've done both with several children. Baby gets a bottle while I'm at work. I BF when we are at home and one weekends.

Just because BFing may not start smoothly, it does not mean you are worthless. I learned a lot about myself during the struggle with the first and came out a much stronger person. It just means there's some issues.

And it may go smoothly anyway, particularly if you have a good birth and have supportive people IRL around you. Study up now...I am pretty sure reading more than just WTEWYAE would have served me well Womanly Art, Ina May (ALL of her books!), that sort of thing, as well as taking a class (no, not the hospital one) would probably have helped me. Instead, I waited until things were falling apart to get help. Don't do that.
    Susan

With over 2 years of pumping experience for my 2 dd (while at work), and more nursing experience, I'm so glad you've decided to try nursing. It's good you are willing to consider EP, but nursing is so much easier.

This is one of my favorite books. It helped so much.

Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothersby Nancy Mohrbacher and Kathleen Kendall-Tackett
    http://www.llli.org/nb/nbsepoct07p228.html

Good for you momma for wanting to give your baby the best no matter how you do it.

Only because the amount of stress that a new parent feels I do hope you eliminate the stress of the pump at least at the beginning weeks. It is for sure something to get use to for most people. Try nursing in the hospital, make sure you see a LC and find a local Le Leche League meeting you can attend even if you make the decision to EP.

Whatever you decide know there are women who support you and will at all times encourage you.