Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about exclusively pumping

Default Re: Question about exclusively pumping

I EP. Out of necessity. It is a FAR DISTANT second to BFing. I put in 46 HOURS a week pumping, feeding the baby via a feeder, then washing up. Add a job on top of that, and how do you have time to spend with baby? It's really hard to pump and hold a baby at the same time.

The other issue obvious to me because I have BTDT is establishing supply via EPing is actually more difficult to do in a short period of time. At 4 weeks you would still be pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock, and honestly, you should still be pumping every 2 hours at that point. Dropping sessions earlier can lead to a loss of supply. How would do you that and go back to work? Its much easier to cosleep to nurse at night and then pump during the day at work, even that early.

Keep an open mind about BFing. I was sure I'd never BF, didn't really want to, and I ended up nursing my first for two years.

I'd write more, but I'm one-handed. Bottlefeeding is extremely limiting in that way.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

just to share how feelings can change AFTER baby is here:

My 1st child was born with a cleft lip and palate. I was TOLD I couldnt nurse, and given no option to pump. I had no idea, never new or saw anyone nurse or pump. I was FINE with the idea of formual feeding, actually kind of relieved that I didnt even have the decision to try to BF.

WELL, after my DS was born all that changed. I had a strong urge to nurse him, and while his cleft was a complete thru the lip, nose hard and soft palate, wouldnt allow for nursing...I then went to pumping and did so for 11 months. It was a HUGE commitment. You really are bound to the pump. I didnt mind really casue I felt like I was doing somehting for him, when there was so much I had to do TO him that made him cry (very involved care of the cleft).

ANYHOW, I now am able to nurse my DD, and it is soooooooo much easier then EPing.

I think its AWESOME that you want to provide BM to your baby! And if you end up EPing that is your decision and you will be supported here. BUT please keep an open mind to BFing, and dont be shocked if you see that baby and want tp put her to your breast.
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post

Please consider actually breastfeeding your baby. If it isn't for you then that is fine. But consider it. There is a lot that is part of breastfeeding that is not about breastmilk.
    Article about that very thing..http://www.parentdish.com/2011/05/26...share_facebook

I have found this to be true. When my first three babies would cry, I would sweat bullets. Now, when this baby cries, I don't like it, and I do my best to stop it, but it doesn't cause me to be as upset as it did the first times around. The first baby cried all the time, so you would have thought I'd have been immune to crying by the time he was 6 months old. The only difference is that I'm not actually nursing him. The connection is different. I don't think it means that babies fed pumped milk aren't loved and cared for, but I think there is a difference there.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I think its AWESOME that you want to provide BM to your baby! And if you end up EPing that is your decision and you will be supported here. BUT please keep an open mind to BFing, and dont be shocked if you see that baby and want tp put her to your breast. [/QUOTE]

Ladies, I am so grateful for the support! I pray that after I have her, I see that little face and just want to take her right to the breast. I assume I don't have that feeling yet since this is my first child. Either way, BF or EP, she is gonna get a good start and that's all that matters.

Again, I really, really appreciate everyone's input and support.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lanfrog View Post
    I assume I don't have that feeling yet since this is my first child. Either way, BF or EP, she is gonna get a good start and that's all that matters.

Again, I really, really appreciate everyone's input and support.
    I think that is exactly it. I was right there with you with my first. You really have NO IDEA the bond that happens until you hold your little baby for the first time. There are no words to accurately describe it, but your ENTIRE world is going to change. You might find yourself doing things you NEVER thought you'd do. Keep an open mind mama, and we are here to support you!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*dara View Post
    I think that is exactly it. I was right there with you with my first. You really have NO IDEA the bond that happens until you hold your little baby for the first time. There are no words to accurately describe it, but your ENTIRE world is going to change. You might find yourself doing things you NEVER thought you'd do. Keep an open mind mama, and we are here to support you!
    You will definitely find yourself doing things you never thought you'd do!!! I mean, my husband and I never in a million pre-baby years could have imagined having this conversation:
    Me: "Are you changing a poop diaper?"
    Him: "Yes."
    Me: "Well, don't throw it away yet. I want to look." :P

Despite the fact that you'll do things you didn't think you'd do, I want to mention that you may not feel an instant bond with your baby. I know a lot of moms do. It's like "See baby, fall head-over-heels in love." But other moms are more "Whoa, look at that! It's a baby. Wait... It's my baby. And that means... I have to take care of this thing?! Oh crud! I just want a nap." That's how it was for me with my first baby. The bond developed in time, and I do believe that breastfeeding helped that happen. You can't snuggle and feed someone all day long without feeling something pretty powerful towards them. But since you're a first-time mom, I don't want you to be alarmed if your midwife or doctor hands you your baby and you don't feel that lightning bolt of adoration.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You will definitely find yourself doing things you never thought you'd do!!! I mean, my husband and I never in a million pre-baby years could have imagined having this conversation:
    Me: "Are you changing a poop diaper?"
    Him: "Yes."
    Me: "Well, don't throw it away yet. I want to look." :P

Despite the fact that you'll do things you didn't think you'd do, I want to mention that you may not feel an instant bond with your baby. I know a lot of moms do. It's like "See baby, fall head-over-heels in love." But other moms are more "Whoa, look at that! It's a baby. Wait... It's my baby. And that means... I have to take care of this thing?! Oh crud! I just want a nap." That's how it was for me with my first baby. The bond developed in time, and I do believe that breastfeeding helped that happen. You can't snuggle and feed someone all day long without feeling something pretty powerful towards them. But since you're a first-time mom, I don't want you to be alarmed if your midwife or doctor hands you your baby and you don't feel that lightning bolt of adoration.
    I am SURE that BFing actually kept me from abandoning my family after #1 was born.

I developed very severe PPD after his birth. There were many factors involved that contributed to the PPD, but it was really bad. I was almost hospitalized.

The struggle to nurse -- because I knew that breastmilk was best for him, and breastmilk from the breast best of all -- kept me from just saying, "I am done here," and leaving DH. I said I was leaving several times, I didn't really feel a connection to the baby, but knowing I had to stick around for the struggle kept me there until one day...that lightning bolt struck and I fell in love with baby. I even remember it happening. I was nursing while laying down, and suddenly, I realized I loved that baby. Loved him to my core.

He was 16 weeks old.

Keep an open mind. Try things. Don't give up when the going gets tough. So many of us had very difficult starts and have managed to nurse for months to even years.
    Susan

Many people will discourage you from pumping, but sometimes its just a better fit. I EP my daughter and I don't mind at all.

I tried to EBF at first and I just had a hard time. Despite meeting with several LC's, it just wasn't working. So I tried just pumping since I didn't want to give her formula and I felt this big weight off of my shoulders.

And I LOVE it. Yes, I pump in the car. Yes, I pump at work. But it's part of my routine, and everyone is very supportive of it in my life. I have become very accustomed to it and so have my friends and family. DH helps so much with making sure I have time to pump, and he loves it because he can feed DD too.

I have tried to nurse in a pinch a few times since I started EP'ing and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

That being said, do give bf a try first. But know that pumping is an option, and people have done it successfully.

Yes, it can be done. Yes, it can be done. Yes, it can be done. But it's hard.

It took me six weeks to establish supply with my first (though having too small of flanges at first probably contributed, though I may also have had hypoplastic breasts). After that I ended up having way too much milk, which ended up great since I discovered milk banking for needy infants, but ...

I tried and tried to breastfeed, but my DD couldn't do it. Pumping was hard. It was super-hard especially when she would cry while I pumped, and I had to choose between holding her and getting her next meal. (Working outside the home may be an advantage to you there.) I pumped for thirteen months and fed her breast milk for fifteen.

I pumped exclusively (not by choice, by necessity) for my second for two months until he started to nurse on one side. I pumped the other side for another two months until he started to latch onto that one. Once he started nursing both sides, we've never looked back, and it's so much easier.

I don't want to discourage you in any way from pumping. It can be done. It can be done. It can be done.

A book that is very helpful (or at least was to me) is [I]Exclusively Pumping Breast Milk[I] by Stephanie Casemore (http://www.exclusivelypumping.com/. It gives you a realistic view of the matter, as well as pros and cons. (Yes, there are even pros to pumping, but there's a high cost to those pros.) It's not a long read, but a very valuable reference. (She's not a medical professional, by the way, but she wrote the book from her experience and what she learned from others.)

If you really are going to EP you really have to start immediately. A hospital-grade pump like the Medela Symphony is the best way to establish supply. (That's too expensive to buy, though.) Call your hospital where you will deliver and see if they will provide a breast pump while you are in recovery. Mine did (though it wasn't a symphony.)

Just so you know, pumping costs are high. You need parts for your pump, bottles, bags, etc. Of course, if you're breastfeeding and pumping, you'll need all those things as well, just perhaps not so many.

There are lots of people here who've done both (I'm new to posting but have been a lurker off and on for years and picked up some great tips here when I was EPing). While you're thinking, keep asking questions. It's easier to know what you're getting into than to try to catch up when you already have a newborn.

I wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duaeguttae View Post
    There are lots of people here who've done both (I'm new to posting but have been a lurker off and on for years and picked up some great tips here when I was EPing). While you're thinking, keep asking questions. It's easier to know what you're getting into than to try to catch up when you already have a newborn.
    Thank you so much for sharing your valuable experience and advice!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous