Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excruciating back pain

Default Excruciating back pain

I'm having such terrible back pain from breastfeeding/carrying my LO. I currently breastfeed her on the coach the majority of the time and have to bed over a little bit to feed her, even with pillows. I have to hold my breast while I feed her or she isn't able to latch, because she's only 9 weeks and my breasts are a little on the large side. So I'm constantly hunched over and at a weird angle. On top of it all, she likes to be carried or held all the time. Not that I don't love holding my little girl, but my back is starting to spasm from the pain. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Excruciating back pain

man btdt....
    what helped me was more pilliows and putting my feet up.
    And learning to nurse laying down. Using a sling for when she wanted carried to closer you can get baby to your body the beter.

IF its realy bad a visit or two to the ciropractor might help

w/ andrea. You need to put your feet up. I put mine up on level with whatever I'm sitting on. When I'm on the couch, I prop them on the coffee table on top of a small pillow.

To help with the large breast thing, you can put a rolled up burp cloth or small towel underneath your breast. Also, do you have a boppy or other breastfeeding pillow? They help a lot.

I liked the football hold for the first few months. I used it at first from necessity after having a csection; after, I felt as though it helped with head control and kept my breast from smooching their noses.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    man btdt....
    what helped me was more pilliows and putting my feet up.
    And learning to nurse laying down. Using a sling for when she wanted carried to closer you can get baby to your body the beter.

IF its realy bad a visit or two to the ciropractor might help

I didn't have the having to hold my breast issues, but I remember feeling like my back was just going to seize up when my baby was around that age.

Do you think it might help to use a sturdy nursing pillow like the My Brest Friend (silliest name ever ). Those are pretty rigid, and you might be able to strap it on in such a way that you can position your breast at the right level/angle for baby, get her latched on, and then lean back or at least sit up. I used this pillow, and it was so sturdy that I could get up and walk around with my daughter lying on it, nursing all the while
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

and if your couch is anything like mine its just not good for nursing its just not firm anymore.
    The rocking chair was much beter.

99% of the time I do the cradle hold. When we were first figuring things out, the LC at the hospital recommended it because of my larger breasts. It worked for us, so I've stuck to it and haven't really tried anything else. Other than in bed when I nurse lying down.

I do use a boppy (but it doesn't seem high enough) and I've tried to put a rag under my breast, but a lot of the time I still need to use a hand to hold her head to my breast.

I'll try putting my feet up to see if that helps. I did order a glider which should be delivered this week so hopefully that helps. The Chiropractor and My Brest Friend (never heard of it before!) also seem like awesome suggestions.

Thank you so much! Breastfeeding is super important to us, but I'm getting to the point where it's too physically painful :

don't be afraid to take what your doctor says it ok for pain. Just a dose or two might be helpful.
    heating pad might help, massage
    Ice if its inflamed. but not for a long time.

The brest friend rules!!! Get the deluxe! I think they even sell it ob walmart.com

I lived in that thing. My back used to hurt without it, too.

You can take advil and tyelenol. They are perfectly safe.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

After my c-section, I used a velcroe-y ab support thing that reaaalllyy helped with back pain.
    Mother to Seth, born 4/1/11: 5 lb. 13 oz.
    5/2/11 - 8 lb 12 oz. 6/1/11 - 11 lb 12 oz.
    7/1/11 - 14 lb *unofficial* 8/1/11 - 16 lb 3 oz
    10/3/11 - 18 lb

Good job, growing boy!

Weaned from a nipple shield in late July!!!

Sometimes it takes trying every chair and couch in the house to find "the" spot. For me, it's the corner of the couch with the armrest to my right. I can reach the ottoman with my feet to put them up. Because I'm in the corner I get more support. Sometimes when I'm nursing on the left I'll put a throw pillow under the left side of my nursing pillow just to give that little bit more of a lift.

If I'm NIP, I'll typically look for chairs with arm rests that are a medium height.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and