Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about 'fish lips'

Default Question about 'fish lips'

I always thought baby's lips are to be flanged out when breastfeeding. This is a problem we have with getting a good latch. I was just reading about tongue tie and in an LLL article it talks about fish lips as if it's a bad thing. The article is

http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvaprmay02p27.html

It's the 7th paragraph:

"During breastfeeding, the infant’s lips should maintain a seal around the breast, but should not move much. If the lips are turned outward like “fish lips,” the baby may be using them to move milk from the breast instead of the tongue. "

So are fish lips and lips flanged out different?

Thanks!

Default Re: Question about 'fish lips'

I think the biggest thing is, is it comfortable for you? If your lo is gaining and you're not in pain then all is good!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

No, he's not gaining well. And if fish lips are the same as flanged then the article makes no sense to me - or at least that bit!

Well...when I think of fish lips, while I do think of them being flared out, I also think of the mouthspace being very small, kind of pursed. Were that the case, I think it would be impossible to get a tongue under the breast. When they're latched on correctly, they're mouth is opened pretty wide, and at least with my LO, you can see his tongue against my breast if you try to pull him away.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, but if I make a "fishy face" with my lips, it looks nothing like my child's breastfeeding mouth.

How old is your LO? For how long has he/she not been gaining well? Has diaper output changed?