Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning from pump

Default weaning from pump

So DD is 5 months old. She has refused to nurse for the last month or so, so I am pretty much exclusivley pumping. I've struggled with supply from the beginning so I'm not really suprised that she's decided she likes the bottle better. I'm on my second run of reglan and it bumps my pump output to 12-14 oz per day instead of like 8 oz. I pump 5-7 times per day, depending on how busy we are at work. I ditched pumping in the middle of the night because it didn't seem to make a difference in my supply and DD has slept through the night since 2 months. We have started feeding alittle rice cereal mixed with milk once per day and she loves it, but it didn't really affect how much milk she wants to drink. I'm sick of pumping all the time, the fenugreek, brewer's yeast, mother's milk tea etc etc. Even the LC's I've been working with are out of suggestions.

I'm tired of spending so much time pumping for so little reward, so when this run of reglan is over I plan to wean myself off the pump. How do I go about doing this? Will it be painful? I figured I'd just need to reduce my pumping sessions by alittle every few days, but I'm unsure how often or the rate at which this should happen. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Default Re: weaning from pump

It sounds like you've had a really discouraging time. How are things going now? Are you still taking the Reglan?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: weaning from pump

Done with reglan. Done with pumping since friday. ...but yesterday and todau my breasts hurt, but not the way they hurt full of milk, more like how they hurt when I foumd out I was preggo last year. Is this how its supposed to feel?

Sorry for spelling/grammar....cell phone keyboard.

Thanks!