Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden drop in supply

Exclamation Sudden drop in supply

My little girl is 15 weeks old and has breastfeed exclusively the whole time. I am lucky to be able to stay at home with her so she never had to have a bottle. She nurses about every two hours during the day and has just started sleeping for 6 to 6 and a half hours without waking (or nursing) during the night. She never seemed to eat that much at night, though. She would nurse for 5 to 7 minutes and fall asleep. She nurses for 10 to 12 minutes during the day.

Two days ago, she started fussing while she was nursing. I checked for a burp and switched breasts. She nursed for a few minutes but then began fussing again. She started moving her head to a weird angle while still on my breast and repeated it over and over. I took a break and sqeezed and found that I had no milk. Only a tiny squirt came out. The other breast was the same.

I was able to calm her and she sucked until she fell asleep even though I don't think she was getting anything (no steady swallowing as usual). Two hours later, there still was not enoough milk to satisfy her and we repeated the same scene.

Her diapers seem to come in the same frequency and her behavior off the breast is the same. Her 3 month check up showed a healthy weight gain. It just seems like she is not satisfied.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can get my supply back up to speed? I really don't want to give her formula. I appreciate it!

Default Re: Sudden drop in supply

this sounds like what happened to me when my LO had a growth spurt. Just let your LO stay at the breast as much as possible to stimulate supply. It will get back up there in a few days. Others may come along with more suggestions, but just nurse nurse nurse...no need for formula at this point! You are doing great!

Thank you, Kristin, for the encouragement. It's good to know I am not the only one to experience this. I will stay the course. BTW - Little Wyatt is a cutie!!

My son is 14.5 weeks old....almost the exact same age and I have the exact same problem. My ped. suggested traditional medicinals Organic Mothers Milk tea. It is really tasty and I purchased it at a regular grocery store. I had to supplement as my LO is a tank. He is in the 90% for both lenth and weight. I have to pump for the two days I have to leave him with a babysitter while I am in class. my milk has diminished while pumping so I am assuming it is the same when he nurses. I just keep nursing and am trying this tea to see if it can help increase. I really don't want to supplement with formula and have been bummed when I have to give him 1-2 oouces twice this past week. I was also told that I can take Fenugreek which can help increase your milk supply but talk to a doctor FIRST!!

I am glad to know that I am not the only one with this exact same senario, but not happy that you are also having problems...Good luck!

I too need suggestions w/ increasing supply. my lo is 5 mo and is increasing fussy at the breast, am going to get the tea wish could get @ reg store though, and see if that helps
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old