Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: D-MER

Default D-MER

Hello,

Has anyone had this? If so, did you treat with prescription or with the herbal remedies recommended on the website? http://www.d-mer.org/Natrualtreatment.html

My son is a week old and I am experiencing these symptoms so strongly that I am ready to quit breast feeding. My milk is constantly letting down all day (breast pads soaked through), so I am constantly feeling negative and down and dreading the next time that he feeds. I want to breast feed since it is so much better for him, but I am really hating every minute.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Default Re: D-MER

I don't have any experience with D-MER myself, mama, but it sounds rough!

I know that D-MER is often associated with PPD, or requires similar treatment, so I would definitely urge you to seek out professional help.

Also, at one week, you may have a case of the baby blues, plus your milk is letting down all.the.time. After a month or two, the constant let downs tend to ease up (actually, for many women, they just go away and you only let down when you're actually nursing, and you may stop feeling it). I didn't have D-MER, but I had very painful, very uncomfortable let-downs at first. But this tends to go away as your supply regulates. Anyway, it might help to set some reasonable goals for breastfeeding - for now, just get through each day; later, set a goal like next week; then later, a longer period if that seems reasonable. Even without D-MER, many of us really struggled with breastfeeding at first, and I always advise mamas to try to stick it out a little longer, just to really see whether breastfeeding is something they want to do. I dont' feel like you can make an objective decision at one week, you know?

I can't speak to any natural remedies myself, but hopefully someone will chime in on this thread with more personal experience. Hang in there, and definitely get some help!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Bump. Does anyone have experience with D-MER? I don't want this to get lost.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I didn't have D-MER, but I did have the overactive letdown and had constantly wet clothing for some weeks to months. That does go away. I do understand being annoyed and irritated at being soggy all the time. I did find that wool nursing pads really helped me stay dry.

Many of us hated nursing at the beginning. Is it the leaking and negative feelings, or is there more to it? Soreness, etc.

I know there have been discussions of D-MER here, one rather recently. I'd have to poke around a bit.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I haven't had any expirenece with D-MER, but I did have to wear breast pads constantly the first couple of months. It sounds like you're really going through a lot and working hard to make BF'ing work out. I wish I could add more, I'd suggest trying to just hang in a little longer to see if things sort themselves out. Change the pads a few times a day. Remember at one week you, your body and your baby are still sorting things out!

Hang in there momma and let us know how things are going!!

This must be awful for you. Are you starting to feel better?

I have not been in your situation, but I have seen other women on this board who have also suffered this way. There is an interview with a breastfeeding counselor who found herself with D-MER here. The InfantRisk Center is a great place to call to find out about medications (natural or otherwise) and how they can safely help breastfeeding women. Feel free to call them at 806-352-2519.

I hope you feel better soon.

Oh and as for the leaking, I leaked a lot until well past six months though the first 3 or so were the worst (thank goodness for maternity leave or I would have been carrying bags of shirts to work with me everyday). It is tough, but it goes away.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I suffered from this as well. Every time I had a letdown I felt like I was going to burst into tears. I did NOT want to nurse my baby. Part of this was the D-MER, part was the difficulty I was having with nursing a newborn. I noticed it was much worse for me when I had spontaneous letdowns (wasn't nursing at the moment) than when I was actually nursing. It quieted down quite a bit once my supply evened out and I don't have nearly as many letdowns now, and the feelings are nowhere near as intense. I actually love nursing my son now. He smiles at me and it is never unpleasant anymore. Try to stick with it because it will get better.

A week postpartum is also prime time for the baby blues. Your milk is coming in strong, your hormones are raging, and you are sleep-deprived and overwhelmed. It is recipe for a huge case of the baby blues. If those don't go away after a few weeks, talk to your doctor about whether it could be PPD. But from what I have read from the d-mer.org website, PPD is generally NOT associated with D-MER.

It might help you to distract yourself when you are nursing. Read an entertaining book, watch a movie/trashy TV show, play on the computer, etc. Distraction is very helpful IMO. I did not try any of the supplements. But a B-complex or DHA supplement is generally helpful and couldn't hurt.

Here are a couple of threads along the same lines:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...light=ejection
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...light=ejection
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I suffered from this with both of my babies. There are three things that have helped me a lot. 1) Moderate exercise every day (I walk a mile or so), 2) continuing to take my prenatal vitamins WITHOUT FAIL, and 3) lots of support from friends and family. If I stop exercise or vitamins I notice it getting much worse within a couple of days. I don't know what it is in the prenatals that helps, but I assume it's the B vitamins.

I agree with setting goals for yourself too. As long as the D-MER isn't actually endangering you or your baby, try to keep nursing for as long as you can! You'll be so proud of yourself later. I've promised myself a pair of designer jeans when I make it to 6 months nursing my second - I'll be able to afford it with the money I save on formula!

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!