Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: amount?

Default amount?

Hi,

My LO pretty much breastfeeds off one breast per feed. I've just started pumping after each feed again because I was concerned my supply was decreasing...anyway, so if I pump the breast that she didn't feed off of should I be getting something??

Right now I barely get anything off both breasts...maybe about 1 oz or less...and occaisonally 2-3oz. But do you think I should be able to pump something off the breast she didn't eat from??

Breastfeeding is so confusing!

Default Re: amount?

Why did you think your supply was decreasing? Pumping is not a good way to measure your supply at all.

That said, 1-2 oz pump output is normal on top of feeding your baby. You are probably doing fine! Maybe if you share a bit more about why you're concerned we can help.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

with the PP.

The best way to know if your LO is getting enough to eat is to count diapers and watch weight gain. If diaper output is normal, milk intake and milk supply are normal, too.

Many new moms mistake some normal changes in supply for indications of low supply. If diaper output is normal, the following are NOT indicators of low supply:
    - Baby is fussy, particularly in the evening
    - Baby takes a lot of milk from a bottle, even after nursing
    - Baby suddenly starts nursing more often
    - Baby suddenly wants both breasts at a feeding
    - Mom's breasts suddenly feel less full or engorged
    - Leaking decreases or ceases
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your replies...

Yes pretty much everything mommal said is why I think my supply was going down. In addition, I felt LO urine output was decreasing a bit...her diapers felt lighter although they were still clear/pale yellow. Also, she did start feeding more frequently and I know there is a growth spurt around 6 weeks and that's when it started...but it seems to be continuing...she's 8 weeks tomorrow. Otherwise, baby is acting normal and mom is going nuts.

Do babies all of a sudden start "holding" their pee? Before, she used to always have a wet diaper by feeding time, now it seems like she'll have a dry diaper after 3 hrs...but she will eventually pee. Not sure if I'm just changing her diaper more frequently because she is eating more frequently? Anyway, this is my own madness.

Any other insight I'd appreciate. I took a break and went out shopping to try and relax...so we'll see...

I don't think that babies start holding their pee.... have you noticed that the diapers she does have are much fuller than before when she was peeing more frequently? They do go longer periods of time between peeing over time.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

No...not fuller...that's why I started to wonder if she was getting enough...and like clockwork every1.5 hrs she'd start showing hunger cues...even at night...although the last few nights have been good and she's gone back to 3-4 hrs stretches

As long as she is having a sufficient number of wets in a 24 hour period, and you're nursing on demand, I seriously wouldn't worry. Did you recently move up a size of diaper? If you got used to the feeling of a pee-filled newborn diaper, a size 1 or 2 diaper might feel relatively less soaked even though there's the same amount of pee in it, IYKWIM.

Just checking, though- you're not on any new form of hormonal birth control, are you? For some moms, hormonal contraception can impact supply. This includes the combination pill, the mini-pill, Mirena, Nuvaring, Implanon, and the Depo-Provera shot.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yeah I am trying not to worry about it as she appears well hydrated but it's always in the back of my mind...and unfortunately, I wish that were teh case that we went up in size but we didn't.

Nothing really changed...on thing that happened around the time it started was she got her immunizations, but she was starting the habits that made me wonder the day before...other things she was doing (that she is no longer doing) is latching and pulling off frequently, like every minute for 6 mins...that's when I started wondering if there was nothing there and she was getting frustrated...I also considered a slower flow after a fast let down...so hard to know...

Anyway, so after talking to a LC who said I should start pumping if I felt it was low supply and see what happens...so here I am...