Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Weaning...

Default Re: Our Weaning...

Katie, I agree. You need to talk to your DH. I'm so sorry. I wish I could make all this go away for you. You're getting close to the point I was at and I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm so sorry.

Some people also put bandaids and tell their children that there are ouchies on them. In your case, it's true. So so sorry.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Katie, I agree. You need to talk to your DH. I'm so sorry. I wish I could make all this go away for you. You're getting close to the point I was at and I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm so sorry.

Some people also put bandaids and tell their children that there are ouchies on them. In your case, it's true. So so sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    I'm sorry, Katie. I know it's harder since your DH can't take over night time.
    Thanks. I just feel so bad. She was ok with not nursing on the one side when it was hurt. Do you think that would be traumatizing? I just feel so bad like she still has such a need or attachment...
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Do you mean with putting the bandaids? I don't know. It sounded kind of traumatic to me when I read it, as a pre-weaner.

That's a funny phrase. Anyway, do you think the bitter stuff would actually work? I read about a woman on mothering.com that did that with something, I forget what, and it worked for her. But she had an 18 month old and was able to tell him/her that the milk is yucky now.

I feel like that's harder with a 3 year old. I think the bitter thing could be worth a try one time and see how she reacts to it?

What would she say if you told her BOTH sides hurt?

Are you feeling like she is going to be traumatized for life if you wean her before she would have weaned naturally? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but I know I felt that way.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Do you mean with putting the bandaids? I don't know. It sounded kind of traumatic to me when I read it, as a pre-weaner.

That's a funny phrase. Anyway, do you think the bitter stuff would actually work? I read about a woman on mothering.com that did that with something, I forget what, and it worked for her. But she had an 18 month old and was able to tell him/her that the milk is yucky now.

I feel like that's harder with a 3 year old. I think the bitter thing could be worth a try one time and see how she reacts to it?

What would she say if you told her BOTH sides hurt?

Are you feeling like she is going to be traumatized for life if you wean her before she would have weaned naturally? I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but I know I felt that way.
    Yes. I was talking about the bandaids. I kindof remember a thread where someone was talking about it as being traumatic or something. I don't remember anything else about the thread though

Yes. In a way I feel like it would be heartbreaking for her if I wean her before she's ready. I don't know why. I mean plenty of other people wean in worse ways, right? I think that the fact that she's communicating her need to me makes it harder. She gets all pouty and sad and says "But I like to drink ma-milk"

***An update from last night***
    She did not ask to nurse last night before bed or at all during the night. So yesterday was officially the first day EVER that she did not nurse. I tried to approach it differently last night by bringing up that my "ma-milks" hurt at different times during the night. I'm not sure if that's what helped or if she remembered what we went through the night before.

We were talking about them hurting. And I guess I want her to understand that it's not HER fault that they hurt. When I was getting ready to shower she did something unusual and brought her "baby" over to nurse (which is a totoro doll ). I let the baby nurse for a second and told him to stop because it hurt. So then we talked about it. And also just at other times too.

We talked about all the things she can do because she's a big girl, that baby's can't do.

Then when we got into bed she just said. I want to lay on mommy's arm and hold mommy. And she kept telling me that she loved me It's very rare that she says that. But it made me happy.

We will have to see how everything goes tonight.
    Proud mom of 2:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    Yes. In a way I feel like it would be heartbreaking for her if I wean her before she's ready. I don't know why. I mean plenty of other people wean in worse ways, right? I think that the fact that she's communicating her need to me makes it harder. She gets all pouty and sad and says "But I like to drink ma-milk"
    It sounds like last night went really well.

I completely understand what you're saying here. I felt the same way, but I didn't want to presume that that is what you meant. People told me this, and now I can tell you...

It will be ok. Weaning before she is ready may break her heart a little, but you have nursed her for three years and you love her so much and you have so many other ways you can show that love.

I'll be honest with you... sometimes I have wished that Lilah was nursing now because it would make alot of things easier. The tantrums and the jealousy that is just now really starting to show MIGHT be easier if I were nursing her still. But for the most part, I'm so glad that I'm not nursing her and that I can focus on the nursing relationship with Trixie. I know that tandem nursing is great for the people it works for, but I think it would have been a disaster for me.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Thanks Tracie. I really appreciate all of your's and everyone else's support while we go through this.

I totally agree nursing makes some things way more easier. She threw the hugest fit yesterday around 6pm and all I wanted to do was offer her to nurse!! I am looking forward to be able to focus on nursing the baby as well and not have to worry about nursing her too. I think that if she were to ask after he was born and if I was up to it I might let her. My emotions are all over the place
    Proud mom of 2:

Last night was night/day 2 without nursing! I couldn't believe it. She did ask and she asked several times before bed, but she didn't freak out. I just told her that they hurt so not now. She eventually fell asleep and was ok.

I feel ok with it today not as sad as I did yesterday.

She said something cute though. When I was getting ready to shower she said "I want mommy's midwife to make mommy's ma-milks not hurt anymore"
    I don't know where she got the Idea that the MW could do that
    She met her for the first time yesterday and really liked her.
    Proud mom of 2:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    She said something cute though. When I was getting ready to shower she said "I want mommy's midwife to make mommy's ma-milks not hurt anymore"
    I don't know where she got the Idea that the MW could do that
    She met her for the first time yesterday and really liked her.
    What a sweetheart! you know, she may wean now and want to nurse again after the baby is born. I don't mean this in a scare you kind of way. I mean it a that was really sweet and she'll realize that your ma-milks aren't hurting when she sees the baby nurse.

I think if Lilah had nursed right after the baby was born, she would have not kept on going... she seems to be disgusted by the taste of my milk now.
    Tracie

Mommy to

What a sweetheart! you know, she may wean now and want to nurse again after the baby is born. I don't mean this in a scare you kind of way. I mean it a that was really sweet and she'll realize that your ma-milks aren't hurting when she sees the baby nurse.

I think if Lilah had nursed right after the baby was born, she would have not kept on going... she seems to be disgusted by the taste of my milk now.
    I was wondering if she was noticing that too I've never said anything about it hurting because of the baby so I don't know.

Has Lilah shown any interest at all??
    Proud mom of 2:

She wants to nurse, but then if I let her try to, she laughs and runs off. What she REALLY wants is attention... and she thinks that's how the baby is getting attention.

She did latch on one time and got some of my milk in her mouth. She hasn't even pretended to nurse since that day.

And as exhausting as it is sometimes, I can't imagine nursing both of them.
    Tracie

Mommy to