Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Weaning...

Default Our Weaning...

I just wanted to start a thread to write about my feelings on weaning my DD, maybe get some hugs/sympathy/ideas, I don't know.
    She is 3, I am 29 weeks pregnant. I am ready to be done, but sad at the same time. I wish it didn't have to be like this. I feel really bad. I don't think it would be so bad if it didn't hurt, she would latch on right, I wasn't pregnant and irritable.

On the other side, she does not want to wean. She keeps telling me that she want's to keep drinking ma-milks. She's only having them at bed time and occasionally when she wakes up at night. I think this makes it more bearable to me. But she just doesn't want to be done and just gets so sad if I talk about her weaning. she said she doesn't want to get big and that she wants to keep drinking milk.

I'm debating on whether or not I should get DH to do bedtime with her this weekend and see how it goes

I have no one to talk about these feelings with. I think everyone thinks I have weaned and they wouldn't understand anyway. I think DH gets an idea I'm ready, but I haven't really talked about it with him either.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: Our Weaning...

Big hugs Katie. I've been where you are. You're planning on weaning her?

I thought it would be so hard to wean Lilah and that our relationship would become damaged... I did lose a way to be close with her and I miss that, but we have found other ways. I still feel sad about it, but she doesn't seem to.

Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes, but I guess I just don't know how...or don't really want to take the initiative, if you know what I mean. I think it would be easier if she wasn't so vocal about wanting it. We've been talking about it alot, I even tried the weaning party idea that was a no go. We had her B-day at Chuck E. Cheese this weekend and she keeps saying that she wants to go back. I told her when she's big and doesn't need milks anymore she can have a weaning party there like Maggie had one (from Maggie's weaning). She said no she still wants to drink milks. that she's not big, she's still 2.

And, I don't know if it's right to try to bribe her not to nurse?
    Proud mom of 2:

Well, I can't tell you how to feel about bribes. But I sure did use them. We went to the park. I bought a bunch of little garbage toys at the dollar store to distract distract distract.

I think it may have been a little easier with Lilah though, because she was about a year younger than your DD and her father did the nightweaning.

Oh - and I bribed with hershey kisses as well.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm not above bribing with chocolate but it's bedtime

I know our situation is different and that makes it harder, I think. If DH were home I'd have an easier time maybe...I don't know.

I got really frustrated this morning and just said "I can't take it anymore!!" because she doesn't latch right and it drives me nuts. It's like she's not fully latched and no suction and it feels like she's just chomping down on me.
    Proud mom of 2:

I used to have to tell Nora, "you can't nurse right now it's hurting mama's boobies." There are pros and cons to having a very verbal child when you're going through it. I liked being able to talk to her about it and to some extent reason with her. She usually understood when I told her it was hurting.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I used to have to tell Nora, "you can't nurse right now it's hurting mama's boobies." There are pros and cons to having a very verbal child when you're going through it. I liked being able to talk to her about it and to some extent reason with her. She usually understood when I told her it was hurting.
    Thanks. I've been trying to tell her this too. Sometimes she takes it ok. Sometimes she gets really upset. It's hard too if she's half asleep.
    Proud mom of 2:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    E has to unlatch and relatch, switch sides, or stop nursing at least once a day. With her rough chipped teeth, it just hurts unless the stars are aligned. And she is verbal, so we talk about it. What's tough with AM is that she wants to nurse at night only, and it's harder to reason with a sleepy toddler.

When you got pg I thought for sure AM would easily let go those last couple of nursing sessions on her own.

I wish I had advice for you.

Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    E has to unlatch and relatch, switch sides, or stop nursing at least once a day. With her rough chipped teeth, it just hurts unless the stars are aligned. And she is verbal, so we talk about it. What's tough with AM is that she wants to nurse at night only, and it's harder to reason with a sleepy toddler.

When you got pg I thought for sure AM would easily let go those last couple of nursing sessions on her own.

I wish I had advice for you.
    I usually have to make her go on and off at least 3 times. It gets frustrating especially if she doesn't listen. And I feel bad telling her she can't have it if she doesn't listen. I try to make her open wide but she just doesn't go deep enough if that makes sense.

I figured she'd be done by now too.
    Proud mom of 2: