Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 98

Thread: Our Weaning...

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,564

    Default Re: Our Weaning...

    Katie, I can't remember if you said, but what about counting to 10 or something? Tell her that she can nurse until you count to 10. Then, if it's a good nursing session, count really slowly. If it's a bad one, count really fast. Or sing 3 repetitions of a song or something.

    What was so hard for me with weaning Lilah while I was pregnant was/is that I truly believe in child-led weaning. But there just wasn't any way I could continue.
    Tracie

    Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Our Weaning...

    Mom to T September 10 2009 - BF for 20 months

    Due with baby #2 December 31st 2012!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Our Weaning...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Katie, I can't remember if you said, but what about counting to 10 or something? Tell her that she can nurse until you count to 10. Then, if it's a good nursing session, count really slowly. If it's a bad one, count really fast. Or sing 3 repetitions of a song or something.

    What was so hard for me with weaning Lilah while I was pregnant was/is that I truly believe in child-led weaning. But there just wasn't any way I could continue.
    I had tried that...a few months ago, I think and it just didn't work for us. I should try it again. She just wanted me to keep singing and didn't really get the stopping singing means stopping nursing. She then kept asking me to sing every time. On a side note, yesterday I was just singing (not nursing) for no reason and she told me "Mommy, please stop singing, it's annoying"
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

    Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,564

    Default Re: Our Weaning...

    Yeah, Lilah doesn't like it when I sing either.

    I'm sorry you're in such a rough spot.

    ETA: I think the reason Lilah understood that when we got to 10 she had to unlatch is that I had used it for things before. I'm going to count to 10 and then it will be time to take a bath. And then it will be time to get out of the bath, that sort of thing. And I actually had to unlatch her myself at the beginning. But then, at the end, she would stop nursing when I got to 2 or 3. She would just say "I all done."
    Tracie

    Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Our Weaning...

    I'll have to try it agian and see if she's ready for that yet.

    Usually when I start counting it's I count to 3 and if you don't do what I told you to I'm going to make you
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

    Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,883

    Default Re: Our Weaning...

    At bedtime for K I have played a CD for her since she was a toddler. I gave back scratches through one song. By three they do understand a little more. Maybe that would work? And telling her no more ma milk when it's dark. That is has to sleep until the sun is up. I know E is really into day and night right now.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Our Weaning...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    At bedtime for K I have played a CD for her since she was a toddler. I gave back scratches through one song. By three they do understand a little more. Maybe that would work? And telling her no more ma milk when it's dark. That is has to sleep until the sun is up. I know E is really into day and night right now.
    I forgot about that one!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

    Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Our Weaning...

    Well, last night wasn't too bad. She nursed for a few minutes before falling asleep and did not nurse at all after that.
    I tried the song, still doesn't work. She just wants me to sing, she doesn't want that to be the end of the session. She's one stubborn little girl!
    When she was sleepy sucking I just said quietly "OK, all done" and she unlatched and stayed sleeping.
    Oh and I was trying to tell her that the milks needed to sleep and she got all but a weird not a tantrum but like really sad. And said "but I still want to drink them."
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

    Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    6,564

    Default Re: Our Weaning...

    Oh Katie, that must be hard. I was thinking about you this morning. I was pretty sure that weaning Lilah was going to be the end of our relationship and that I was going to damage her for life. It's such a tough place to be in, wanting them to make a decision one way when they want things the way they have always been. In the end, I was really surprised at how easy it was to wean. I thought it would have been harder. I don't know what you experience will be, but you will not lose that connection with your daughter. And although she may be sad, if you decide to wean her, she will have the gift of that baby brother and they will have each other for the rest of their lives.
    Tracie

    Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Our Weaning...

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Oh Katie, that must be hard. I was thinking about you this morning. I was pretty sure that weaning Lilah was going to be the end of our relationship and that I was going to damage her for life. It's such a tough place to be in, wanting them to make a decision one way when they want things the way they have always been. In the end, I was really surprised at how easy it was to wean. I thought it would have been harder. I don't know what you experience will be, but you will not lose that connection with your daughter. And although she may be sad, if you decide to wean her, she will have the gift of that baby brother and they will have each other for the rest of their lives.
    Thank you
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

    Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •