Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wean in time for vacation?

Question Wean in time for vacation?

My husband and I are going on an anniversary trip for 8 days. My son will be 15 months at that time. Right now he nurses 3 times/24 hours. I was thinking about going down to 2 in sept. 1 in october to get him ready and introduce cow's milk/soy milk/almond milk in the mean time. I don't think he will have trouble sleeping while we are gone because he sucks his thumb and he usually sleeps 12 hours a night.
    Can I pump as I drop a feeding to have some breast milk to give him while we are gone. I don't want to pump while we are gone unless I have engorgement issues.
    I wouldn't mind picking up two feedings again when I come back, but I don't know if he will want to so I want to prepare him gradually. I am a first time mom, advice would be lovely!
    Thanks

Default Re: Wean in time for vacation?

is the only reason you want to wean now just so you don't have to pump while on vacation?

I recommend reading how weaning happens if you're up for it. I think two months will not be enough time for a 15 month old to wean gradually.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Well, I would be open to some pumping, but I really haven't had good success with it. It would be awful to get mastitis on the trip .... I also want it to be a special trip so its hard to know how to balence the two. I will check out the book, thanks a lot for your insight!

here's a link to some instant info http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html I do realize you want to enjoy your time with hubby but I personally would pump maybe 1-2 times a day, I did this when my own son was 1.5 for a 4 day trip away.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I hope your son enjoys the 8 days away from his parents as much as you guys do. .

Has he showed any signs of weaning prior to this or is this mother led weaning? Can you bring him along?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

We dropped one feeding recently. We would be busy playing etc and forget or it was really short and he was very distracted. He has done really well with this. He lets me know when he really wants it now. And when he is sick or stressed I will offer it more.
    I guess I don't really know what his signs of weaning would be...I know I enjoyed the nursing more when its not as distracted and only 3 times, but I am trying to be sensitive. I am just a bit clueless. Thanks for your thoughts.

the like in lidarln's post is awesome i think you will get some feedback there. check it out
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language