Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting over sickness, now breasts are sore

Question getting over sickness, now breasts are sore

two days ago i started getting sick, my throat felt sore, then yesterday i had a high fever (101, 102) all day long, with last night being a haze of chills, aching body, and raging headache. today the fever has been steadily going down (it's now at 99.86 degrees) but i have a nasty cough that clearly is trying to work stuff out.

my daughter is 5 weeks old and i've been ebf with some problems initially, including some *horrible* plugged ducts two weeks ago, but things have been going super well lately. i drank a ton of water yesterday, two gallons easily, and haven't seen a drop in my milk supply - which is great. even better, she's showing no signs of sickness - also great.

the reason i'm not sure it's mastitis is that my guy has/had been sick with a really nasty cold/flu for a couple of days before i got sick. i'm thinking i just caught whatever he has and that explains most of my symptoms. also i have no obvious hard spots, no red streaks, and though my whole body is warmer due to the fever, i can't feel any specific warm spots.

however (thanks for sticking with this long post! i'm way too wordy often.. ) my breasts go through these moments, especially after breastfeeding, of serious breast pain. not nipple pain, but breast pain. since i started breastfeeding i've had nipple blanching (probably due to a poor latch initially, i get it much less lately, yay) and it's intense like that pain but spread all over my breast. both breasts hurt but it's more the right breast. i've felt around like crazy and while there are two spots on the bottom part of my breast that are slightly firm, i definitely wouldn't call them hard. and they get softer after i nurse her on that breast.

lastly i get little lightning bolts of pain now and then too, especially in the right breast. before i dismissed them as milk coming down or something like that, but now i'm wondering if it's all connected.

any suggestions?

eta: i've been pouring through these forums for the past week and have learned so much! thanks for all the great tips/suggestions/explanations!

Default Re: getting over sickness, now breasts are sore

Have you taken or are you on antibiotics? If so it could be thrush. I'm dealing with that right now myself. But if there are hard spots, that definitely sounds like plugged ducts (not necessarily mastitis). It's a good sign that they soften after you nurse.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: getting over sickness, now breasts are sore

i keep wondering about thrush. no signs of it in my baby, and my breasts don't itch. i'm not on any antibiotics right now though i was right after her birth over a month ago for about five days.

i live in south america (bolivia to be exact) and had to kinda wing my own APNO a week or so ago because my nipples were so sore. it's an anti-inflammatory, anti-microbe, anti-allergic, funigicide cream (translated direct from the box ) and it does seem to be providing some relief - my nipples before were very sore too but now they're basically fine. it's really just my breasts overall that now bother me.

the spots that maybe could be called hard are basically gone this morning. so is my fever, yay, but the soreness persists. the cough lingers too. so, maybe it is thrush... ugh. better that than mastitis though. i guess?

are you using nyastin with your baby? gentian violet seems very efficient but looks crazy.
    Last edited by @llli*mellowtrouble; May 24th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.