Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quit BF for 14 hours, had to go back. Need advice and support!

Unhappy Quit BF for 14 hours, had to go back. Need advice and support!

SO here is the background- I am a high risk ultrasound tech in a hospital that is VERY busy. I have drastically cut my production (both milk and # of patients I see!!!) from doing about 7-9 patients a day to about 4-5! I feel horrible for putting department behind. I am also PRN, so they call me to work, as needed. I get afraid that if I am not productive enough (even though they express understanding) they will start calling other people and less hours I get= less money= bills dont get paid! I try to double pump 3x a day when I am there. First pump I get 2 oz on each side, other pumps I get maybe 1 oz. My son- 10wks old is up to 5 oz a feeding now. Sometimes 4, but I cant provide him enough breastmilk for the next day at the sitters.

#2 issue- I got the stomach flu on thur night, ended up in ER sunday, had to pump to relieve pain and keep up supply. Meds they gave me, cannot BF w. So I dont take them (for nausea). I dont need them that bad.

#3- he wouldn latch fri night, sat all day, and Sunday night after i came home from hospital. BREAKS MY HEART. I try, I dont get upset, I dont get even tad bit frustrated bc I know they can sense that. He just kicks and screams and doesnt want anything to do with it. Breaks me down inside. How can he not want something so natural? (he got his first bottle at 5-6 wks, when went to sitters).

#4- He has severe reflux (on meds), gas, and pooping issues (gets prune juice every day now to regulate or a suppository. He has to go every day per doctor bc he was going every 5-6 and getting SUPER uncomfortable and unbareable! SO far it has been doing good to go every day) The gas seems to be much better on the formula. He is on soy now, after we tried the hypo-allegnic formula, I went on a dairy free diet (incl whey, casein, etc)for 2 wks w no improvement, and the sensitive kind. Nothing seems to be working well. But we are going to stick with soy as supplement.

So today, I got up this am, planned to go to work and couldnt. Stomach aching started again. I tried to BF him, he latched for a small amount of time and didnt get enough to satisfy. I tried and tried, expressed some for him to re-concentrate and NOTTA! Nothing to do with it. I ended up giving him 2 oz of formula. He was rough the rest of the morning, had gas and fussiness. I decided then to stop. He doesnt want to latch, and with all other issues, maybe it was best? I cant afford the BC pills for breast feeding moms ($40, insurance wont cover bc its a catholic hospital) so if I am not BF I can get back on my old ones for $9 mth...but then night came today. My breast hurt beyond belief and the crying started (from me). I just cant give up. I feel forced to quit, I feel like a failure but most of all, I cant even fathom not having that bond we share EVERY day. SO- any adivce? SHould I just pump when I hurt at work, and BF at night when I am home with him, if he lets me? I called the Lactation nurse, she said he may have developed pref for the soy. To call tomorrow when office hours are and talk with head LC. IDK what to do!Is it possible to BF part time? ANd how? How do I know is the soy is better or my milk?

Default Re: Quit BF for 14 hours, had to go back. Need advice and support!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonomama11 View Post
    SO here is the background- I am a high risk ultrasound tech in a hospital that is VERY busy. I have drastically cut my production (both milk and # of patients I see!!!) from doing about 7-9 patients a day to about 4-5! I feel horrible for putting department behind. I am also PRN, so they call me to work, as needed. I get afraid that if I am not productive enough (even though they express understanding) they will start calling other people and less hours I get= less money= bills dont get paid! I try to double pump 3x a day when I am there. First pump I get 2 oz on each side, other pumps I get maybe 1 oz. My son- 10wks old is up to 5 oz a feeding now. Sometimes 4, but I cant provide him enough breastmilk for the next day at the sitters.
    5oz per feeding is probably too much for your baby to be taking @ one time. My son got up to 5oz per feeding for a month or so at around 5 mos of age (until he started solids @ 6 mos, @ which point we cut back down to 4), but I had oversupply, so it was easy to supply that. Here is an article on kellymom about bottle feeding a BF baby:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Make sure you are using only slow flow nipples. Discuss other ways of soothing your baby that don't involve feeding. A breastfed baby can suck @ the breast w/o actually eating, but with a bottle if you are sucking, milk comes out and you swallow or choke. So they are left w/ sucking needs that should be satisfied other ways (like w/ rocking, snuggles, pacifier, etc).

#2 issue- I got the stomach flu on thur night, ended up in ER sunday, had to pump to relieve pain and keep up supply. Meds they gave me, cannot BF w. So I dont take them (for nausea). I dont need them that bad.
    That's fine. If you can keep down enough fluids despite your nausea, you shouldn't have to take the meds.

#3- he wouldn latch fri night, sat all day, and Sunday night after i came home from hospital. BREAKS MY HEART. I try, I dont get upset, I dont get even tad bit frustrated bc I know they can sense that. He just kicks and screams and doesnt want anything to do with it. Breaks me down inside. How can he not want something so natural? (he got his first bottle at 5-6 wks, when went to sitters).
    I'm sorry mama! This happened to me this weekend. It was very frustrating. Like you, I was trying to stay calm, even though on the inside I was freaking out. Here's another good link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

And another: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

#4- He has severe reflux (on meds), gas, and pooping issues (gets prune juice every day now to regulate or a suppository. He has to go every day per doctor bc he was going every 5-6 and getting SUPER uncomfortable and unbareable! SO far it has been doing good to go every day) The gas seems to be much better on the formula. He is on soy now, after we tried the hypo-allegnic formula, I went on a dairy free diet (incl whey, casein, etc)for 2 wks w no improvement, and the sensitive kind. Nothing seems to be working well. But we are going to stick with soy as supplement.
    I was always told that if the poop was soft, it didn't matter how long they went in between poops. My son only pooped about once a week.

I've also heard that soy formula can be constipating.

So today, I got up this am, planned to go to work and couldnt. Stomach aching started again. I tried to BF him, he latched for a small amount of time and didnt get enough to satisfy. I tried and tried, expressed some for him to re-concentrate and NOTTA! Nothing to do with it. I ended up giving him 2 oz of formula. He was rough the rest of the morning, had gas and fussiness. I decided then to stop. He doesnt want to latch, and with all other issues, maybe it was best? I cant afford the BC pills for breast feeding moms ($40, insurance wont cover bc its a catholic hospital) so if I am not BF I can get back on my old ones for $9 mth...but then night came today. My breast hurt beyond belief and the crying started (from me). I just cant give up. I feel forced to quit, I feel like a failure but most of all, I cant even fathom not having that bond we share EVERY day. SO- any adivce? SHould I just pump when I hurt at work, and BF at night when I am home with him, if he lets me? I called the Lactation nurse, she said he may have developed pref for the soy. To call tomorrow when office hours are and talk with head LC. IDK what to do!Is it possible to BF part time? ANd how? How do I know is the soy is better or my milk?
    It sounds as though your supply may have taken a bit of a hit w/ your illness. This happened to me too a couple of weeks ago. With lots of fluids - an more importantly lots of nursing! - it came back up.

I would look into non-hormonal forms of birth control, since you have been having supply problems.

As far as pumping at work, what kind of breaks were you getting before you were pumping? Could you break up your lunch time into two long breaks and pump then - eating lunch on the go whenever you can manage?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos