Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping after feeds and travelling with EBM

Default pumping after feeds and travelling with EBM

I just recently started pumping after each feed to increase my supply because, it was decreasing...I've been doing this since Fri. I only get a substantial amount once or twice a day...every other pumping session I get drops or less than 1/2 oz. Does this sound right? Am I just making enough for the baby?? I'm also going to need to pump when I return to work in a few weeks.

We're taking a 5 hour road trip. Is there anyway I can transport frozen EBM? It would be fresh EBM from the weekend...should I just keep the EBM in the fridge and then keep it on ice and then freeze it when I get home?

Thanks!

Default Re: pumping after feeds and travelling with EBM

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tomom View Post
    I just recently started pumping after each feed to increase my supply because, it was decreasing...I've been doing this since Fri. I only get a substantial amount once or twice a day...every other pumping session I get drops or less than 1/2 oz. Does this sound right?
    Sounds about right. If you're getting a substantial amount at any time, that's great. I tried this routine forever and *never* got more than a few drops (sometimes not even that!).

We're taking a 5 hour road trip. Is there anyway I can transport frozen EBM? It would be fresh EBM from the weekend...should I just keep the EBM in the fridge and then keep it on ice and then freeze it when I get home?
    Probably best to keep it in the fridge, then take it in a cooler and freeze once you get home. You're not really supposed to refreeze thawed milk, and I'm not sure you'd get it home in a frozen state without dry ice (but maybe someone else has a suggestion). Here's a link to a great page on milk storage guidelines. There's a chart at the bottom which is great to print for a quick reference.
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Default Re: pumping after feeds and travelling with EBM

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tomom View Post
    I just recently started pumping after each feed to increase my supply because, it was decreasing...I've been doing this since Fri. I only get a substantial amount once or twice a day...every other pumping session I get drops or less than 1/2 oz. Does this sound right? Am I just making enough for the baby?? I'm also going to need to pump when I return to work in a few weeks.

Thanks!
    What about pumping in the car? Double pump maybe....that would be the best.