Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still sleepy 1 week old

Default still sleepy 1 week old

Hi, everyone,
    I got some really good advice the other day about my LO being so sleepy. She is now 1 week old and we had a weigh in at the peds office today. Her MD wanted her to gain at least 1.5oz in 3 days and she gained 2. So that's good. All my waking and stimulating her is going well. She's having lots of wet diapers and seedy yellow poops as she should. I'm just wondering if I should be concerned about her sleeping so much. Have I just forgotten how much NBs sleep? She has several very alert periods where she is wide awake and looking around for about an hour each time. The rest of the time she is sleeping or eating. She almost always passes out after feeding and if I'm wearing her in the sling, she stays asleep the whole time. Someone please reassure me that this is normal and she'll be more awake in time. She sleeps well at night too but does wake me every 3 hours to eat.

Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: still sleepy 1 week old

Totally normal. Enjoy it while it lasts
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

Default Re: still sleepy 1 week old

A newborn may sleep as much as 16 hours a day (or even more), often in stretches of 3 to 4 hours at a time. And like the sleep all of us experience, babies have different phases of sleep: drowsiness, REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, light sleep, deep sleep, and very deep sleep. As babies grow, their periods of wakefulness increase.

No need to worry mama.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold