Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby sleeping longer...lose milk supply?

Default baby sleeping longer...lose milk supply?

my 2 1/2 months LO is sleeping longer through the nights now...sometimes as long as 9 hours. my question is what's the risk of me losing my milk supply? sometimes i go as long as 12 hours without her milking on one breast (for example, she would nurse at 12 on right breast, won't wake up until 9, eat from the left breast, sleep until 12 and then will eat from the right breast). sometimes, if i'm good, i'll get up and pump but sometimes i'm just too lazy.

Default Re: baby sleeping longer...lose milk supply?

My DD started sleeping through the night (10-12 hours) at 3 months old and I didn't get up to pump and had no problems with my milk supply. I would wake up in a puddle most mornings but eventually my body adjusted to the demands of my baby and everything worked fine. I was worried too and drank a tea called "Mother's Milk" it helps support your milk supply. www.traditionalmedicinals.com
    HTH.

watch the babies out put, if need be try and add an extra feed in the eve before bed. Some babies will tank up before bed and then sleep a good long time. I have never had one of thoose babies. consider yourself lucky!

thanks for your reply.

so baby is doing well but i'm still miss paranoid here. today, she fed only a total of 5 times during 24 hours and i will pump before i go to bed. basically she woke up at 7:30 (after sleeping at 10:30), ate, played slept, woke up at 11:30, ate, played, slept, woke up at 4:00, ate, played, napped, woke up at 7:00, ate, played, ate at 10:30, bedtime.

is this okay? she averages 7 feedings a day and the range is 5-8 depending on her schedule. when she has fewer feedings in a day, i try to squeeze in a pump. i don't pump in between because sometimes i'm tired and rather sleep and also, i don't know when she'll wake up and want to eat so i want to make sure she has enough milk. i don't have the biggest breasts so i'm always worried that i don't produce enough milk "instantly".

thanks in advance.

Hi, Tigger:

Your post made me laugh! I am so glad that someone is as lazy as I am. I always tell myself to pump in between but I don't always get it in. My DS is 8 weeks now, and I don't seem to have any problems with supply. When I do pump it's a marathon and add a few extra minutes to "milk" the supply but I had/have OALD.
    Last edited by sierrachang; November 10th, 2006 at 01:25 AM.