Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP!! I have a 10 week old nipple yanker...

Default HELP!! I have a 10 week old nipple yanker...

My baby girl is 10 weeks old and has started to yank my nipples at the end of feedings. It is sometimes very painful. Has anyone else experienced this? Why does she do this? What can I do to help her satisfy that need in some other less painful way?

Default Re: HELP!! I have a 10 week old nipple yanker...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*izzysmomma View Post
    My baby girl is 10 weeks old and has started to yank my nipples at the end of feedings. It is sometimes very painful. Has anyone else experienced this? Why does she do this? What can I do to help her satisfy that need in some other less painful way?
    Do you think she's just saying "I'm done"? Or is she trying to get a second let-down?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

yeah, i have a nipple yanker too from time to time
    i found it could be a cuople things w/ my g:
    done or
    tired, if i just hold on, he'll fall asleep pretty soon.
    as i've seen here pretty common, and everybaby is different. if it hurts, i'd just take him off, they are pretty good at communicating what they need!
    Momma to Gordie Oshkay born 1/6/11.
    He's a love monkey who loves & eats big!
    We EBF, cloth diaper, and do lots of baby wearing as he loves being close to momma!

I agree - any behavior that hurts, you can just end the session. It can be helpful to understand any patterns in the behavior, so that you can avoid it, you know?

Joe definitely went through some nipple-yanking phases. In his case, he was just really, really physical, so he was always pushing against me with his legs or arching his back or SOMETHING, all the time. The yanking was just part of his general wiggliness. If he got too wiggly, I figured he was done, and stopped nursing. That also indirectly teaches the baby to stay still if they want a nice long nursing session!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

When my son started teething, he would hold my nipple between his jaws at the end of a feed, and pull back until my nipple popped out of his mouth. I tried to give him other opportunities to massage his gums, and made sure, near the end of a feed, to use my arm to block his head so he couldn't pull back.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012