Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping/intake comparison

Default pumping/intake comparison

my friend's LO is a about a week older than mine. my LO is a month and 1 week. i know every baby is different but this sorta worried me a bit...

we were talking about pumping and b-feeding intake. her LO eats 6 oz! i dont think mine eats that much at all. i want to say at most he eats 3 oz.
    is this normal?ok? and honestly i don't know for sure ho much he's taking in because it's not like i measure out each nursing session. im taking a guess from the times we've weighed him with the LC.

i stopped pumping but will be starting because i will be going back to work soon. i started pumping today this morning after our nursing session. i only pumped 2.5 oz. i used to pump up to 4-5...this was when we were having troubles with latch and bottle feeding.
    i'm scared once i start pumping and going back to work i won't have enough supply.

Default Re: pumping/intake comparison

1) Your friend is over-feeding her baby. My son didn't take 6oz until he was over a year old. 3-4 oz is normal for a breastfed baby.

2) You are correct in not having to know how much your baby is taking. Too bad our boobs don't have a little see-through area so you can see how much is in there, right?

3) When you were pumping during those earlier times, you were pumping to replace a feeding, whereas now you are pumping after and in addition to a feeding. When you pump at work, you will be replacing nursing sessions again, and so you will get more. Don't forget, you don't need to worry about each individual session, but how much total you get over the whole day.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions for you:
    - What kind of pump do you have?
    - If it is a double pump, are you pumping both sides at the same time?
    - Have you tried breast compressions while pumping?
    - How long do you pump?

HTH!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

P.S., here is a great list of links from kellymom. I lived on this site when I first went back to work w/ S (well, there and these forums ): http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

i have the medela freestyle pump. i pump one boob at a time now. i used to do both. yes, i'm doing breast compressions while pumping and i usually pump for about 8 mins. i'm trying to get about 3oz in each bag.

im so worried about milk supply once i start back to work.
    i missed a class about breastfeeding and work on monday. so now....i'm left with open questions. sigh.

Pumping 2.5 ounces in 8 minutes while you are also nursing all day is GREAT supply!

When you are at work, you will be pumping instead of nursing, so you will get more than that. And I assume that you will pump both sides while you're at work.

It's going to be ok mama. You're going to have enough milk for your baby.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Argh! I had this whole reply typed out and it vanished! Okay, I'll try again.

You can totally do this.

Make sure you have the right size shields.
    http://www.medela.com/IW/en/breastfe...astshield.html
    http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields

I personally respond faster to a PISA or Symphony. You will probably have to pump longer than 8 minutes. If you pump both at the same time, not only are you finished faster (because you are pumping them together), but you will overall get more milk. See the link in the sticky @ the top of this forum "Maximizing milk production while pumping". The study showed that women who pumped one breast and then the other got less than those that pumped both @ the same time. And massage improved that even more. Use your hands-free set up if you can. I have trouble w/ it, so I prop one bottle/horn against the edge of the desk and my knee and use one hand to hold while the other alternates massaging one breast and then the other.

Are you pumping through a second let-down? If you see the milk stop coming out, keep pumping for at least 1-2 more minutes. Often this will stimulate a second let-down and you can get an extra 1/4-1/2 oz per breast this way (or at least, I do).

HTH!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks so much I'll def check out links. Should i go ahead and continue to pump in the mornings? Someone said i shuldve started pumping two weeks before i go back to work.

SOOOO when I do will I be pumping every 2-3 hours? And then the fresh milk will be for the next day, right? What about the first week he's with his child care provider? The frozen batch? How many bags will I give? What if the amt I give isn't enough?

Also, with him taking the bottle while I'm at work....is there a possibility he could get use to the bottle and refuse the breast? 8 hours taking the bottle vs the breast....I'm assuming he would.

Sorry for the many questions!! Lol any other advice/tips on the pumping/working mom would be greatly appreciated! I want to be prepared when the time comes.

Ask all the questions you want!! The first day he's at daycare, you'll give frozen. So you might need about 12 ounces. Maybe bring 16, even though that's too much really, if you're going to be away for 8 hours. But it might give you peace of mind. Then you'll pump the first day for the next day and so on. Some people store their milk, fresh, over the weekend and give that milk on the following Monday, but I freeze mine and rotate my freezer stash.

How much milk do you have in the freezer right now? I didn't pump very often before I went back to work... maybe the week before I started I pumped once per day? I can't remember and it's only been 2 months!

Some babies do prefer the bottle to the breast, but it hasn't been a problem for me. My first daughter HATED bottles. My second one likes them ok, but she never gets one at home unless I am out. So maybe once a week at most she gets a bottle at home.

Use the slowest flow nipple so that it's still work for them to get the milk out of the bottle, and try not to go over 4 ounces per bottle, if you can. I think those two things can help maintain the nursing relationship.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I leave a few frozen bags of milk at my daycare provider's house. Is that an option for you?
    Tracie

Mommy to

thank you! this helps a lot. yes i can leave frozen bags there...
    i guess im starting to pump early hehe.

thank you for your advice. it is much appreciated. i'm sure i'll think of some more questions... lol
    i'm just worried i won't have enough milk for LO when he starts at his provider. again, we don't know exactly how much he's getting out of these knockers. lol. but i am assuming about 3 oz. (from times he's taking the bottle with his dad)

what if he's going through a growth spurt? should i bring extra bags like you recommend just for peace of mind?