Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastmilk instead of Saline

Default Breastmilk instead of Saline

I've had great success with using breastmilk as a saline for my LO's clogged nose. How long can I keep pumped milk for this purpose? Still the same amt of time as if she were drinking it?

Default Re: Breastmilk instead of Saline

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zeebaby View Post
    I've had great success with using breastmilk as a saline for my LO's clogged nose. How long can I keep pumped milk for this purpose? Still the same amt of time as if she were drinking it?
    Yeah, I would use fresh. I think milk works so well in the little nostrils because it's full of live antibodies and probiotics. So after a while, it would spoil and it would lose its healing qualities. Plus who wants spoiled milk up their NOSE? You could freeze it if you want it to last longer.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I totally read the thread title wrong.

Fresh works better just as joe.s.mom said. I'd just squirt some up there if it were me.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    I totally read the thread title wrong.

Fresh works better just as joe.s.mom said. I'd just squirt some up there if it were me.
    I did that when Joe was a newborn. Now he won't sit still!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thank you! It's amazing how well breast milk works. I also used it when my LO had goopy eyes & it healed them very quickly. I also think it's less irritating than saline. I hate saline! Maybe I should try using breast milk for my nose.

I was thinking more about the frozen milk rather than fresh. I've always used fresh milk but now that I'm going to stop pumping, I'm thinking about my freezer stash. I'll be sad when there's no more milk left in that stash!