Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My bottle happy boy...

Default My bottle happy boy...

Hi!
    My husband and I just had a beautiful baby boy, 37 weeks, who had to spend a few days in the NICU because his glucose levels were low. Because of this he had to be pushed lots of formula since my milk hadn't come in. The process in the NICU was: Attempt to nurse, then I would pump and my husband bottle feed. Well now we are home (YAY!) and I do get 25ml of milk pumping, but he seems pretty uninterested in nursing. We feed him whatever I pump, and still supplement with formula (doctors orders). I am afraid that because the bottle is so easy, even with my husband trying to do the bottle slowly, that he'll never get the motivation to work for it on my breasts!

Anyone have similar issues? Suggestions? We are hoping we get the go ahead from the doctor to nix the formula... but until then I fear more sleepless nights with a baby crying and pushing my breasts away

Thanks for the support LLL, love the site.

Default Re: My bottle happy boy...

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! I'm sorry you've had a tough time with him so far. Was the birth okay?

This link may be helpful when it comes to coaxing your baby to take the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    And this one can help you develop a breastfeeding-friendly bottle style: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    When the baby pushes the breast away, you might want to try swaddling- he can't push if he can't use his hands, and it's not a bad thing to swaddle since most babies actually enjoy it.

I strongly suggest making an appointment with a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, and getting some in-person help. She may be able to find a way to encourage your baby to nurse, and may be able to help you phase out the formula. One thing that can happen with premature babies is that the docs can encourage a mom to supplement even when it's not necessary, just because they're so worried about the baby's intake. Doing some weigh-feed-weigh tests with the LC may help you determine how much milk your baby ca take in at the breast, and that can help you figure out if supplementing is necessary.

Another thing a LC can help with is a supplemental nursing system. Using one of these, you can supplement the baby at the breast, thereby reducing bottle preference.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: My bottle happy boy...

Congratulations on your lo and being dedicated to BF!

I agree with everything mommal said... definitely see a IBCLC

thought you might want to see this short thread on supplemental nursing systems. I think it would be a great idea to get one.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=99879