Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taste

Default Taste

Over the weekend, I ran out to the grocery store while DH watched DS. I was gone a little bit too long, so DH had to give DS a bottle of EBM instead of waiting for me to get home. DH thought the older (4 days) milk "looked funny" so he gave him the 3-day milk instead.

When I got home, I thought the 4-day milk looked fine after I shook it... but I decided to taste it just to make sure. The initial taste was sweet, but then it had a bad after-taste. It wasn't soapy or metallic or vomit-like... it just wasn't sweet. I compared it to 2-day milk and that tasted the same way.

Do you think that's normal? I had never tried a whole sip of my milk before. Small drops of my milk have always taste sweet. I am wondering if maybe just the larger quantity made the difference. Maybe it's supposed to have a weird after-taste?

What do you think? Problem or no problem?

Default Re: Taste

I wouldn't worry about unless your LO starts to refuse it. He obviously likes it
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    I wouldn't worry about unless your LO starts to refuse it. He obviously likes it

Remind your husband that breast milk has all different kinds of "looks" that are normal. I was looking for a link on kellymom that describes all the ways it can look, but I can't find it right now and I have to get back to work. I'll look later.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Hi. i have the lipase issue and mine just tastes off within a fe hours. for some woman it takes a few days.

it may not be lipase with you but i agree with pp, if lo takes it no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post

Remind your husband that breast milk has all different kinds of "looks" that are normal.
    I think he was just being overly worried. I'm glad he didn't dump it, because it definitely looked fine to me! He thought it looked "chunky" but it really didn't.

I actually drink my own breastmilk in place of cows milk-so does DH (and obviously our LO ) so because we use it we don't usually have much of a 'fridge stash' around, whenever there's excess we usually just freeze a bit in case of an emergency or sth, but that's only usually like 3-4 oz in a day that there is to spare when that happens. That said though..my milk tastes really sweet but I eat a lot of sweet food, and it is supposed to be influenced by what you eat.
    Anyway I agree with the PP's, its fine if your LO takes it. But I was told you shouldn't use 'fridged milk thats more than 5 days old so I'd use it up quickly .
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tarantamom View Post
    I actually drink my own breastmilk in place of cows milk-so does DH (and obviously our LO ) so because we use it we don't usually have much of a 'fridge stash' around, whenever there's excess we usually just freeze a bit in case of an emergency or sth, but that's only usually like 3-4 oz in a day that there is to spare when that happens. That said though..my milk tastes really sweet but I eat a lot of sweet food, and it is supposed to be influenced by what you eat.
    Anyway I agree with the PP's, its fine if your LO takes it. But I was told you shouldn't use 'fridged milk thats more than 5 days old so I'd use it up quickly .
    Wow, I wish I had that much to spare. I usually use all of the milk that I pump the very next day. We just happened to have a bottle leftover from Friday's daycare (that was pumped on Thursday). I thought it was good in the fridge for 8 days, but I don't think I will ever be able to keep it that long!

I'll keep mine up to 7-8 days in the fridge, but try to freeze after 3-4 days, mainly b/c I don't want hubby accidentally using new milk instead of the 2-3 day old stuff.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

It's certainly an acquired taste. I've noticed the same thing mek - a few drops taste super sweet, but a whole sip does not. As long as the baby will drink it, don't worry about it. And it really tastes nothing like cows milk, which I prefer to drink. Well, actually, I drink water, but Lilah drinks cows milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mek View Post
    Wow, I wish I had that much to spare. I usually use all of the milk that I pump the very next day. We just happened to have a bottle leftover from Friday's daycare (that was pumped on Thursday). I thought it was good in the fridge for 8 days, but I don't think I will ever be able to keep it that long!
    8 day old milk...sounds
    maybe if you've got a cold fridge..

I think cows milk is tasting, funny enough.
    I like ice cream yoghurt ect, just not the milk itsself.
    Proud wife to Paul , dedicated SAHM to our O.O. born 00:00:00 on 08 Nov 2010,

Look for us in the upcoming September 2011 issue of LLLGB's magazine, "BREASTFEEDING MATTERS" as well as LLL's upcoming booklet on relactation!
    & A proud daughter to a LLLL may she RIP.
    Relactated from scratch after a complicated birth(BAD hospital)...
    Now relatched and & ing after 5 months of 100% EBM feeding
    Planning permanent lactation.
    A millionaires baby fed with commercial baby milk has a poorer diet than the poorest family's baby who is breastfed.-WHO, 1997
    My story-for those looking to relactate, relatch, or boost their milk supply