Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "I don't like mommy milk anymore"

Default "I don't like mommy milk anymore"

And just when I thought self-weaning was a myth! I was out of town Thursday and Friday, back home Friday night to put my 4.5 yo twins to bed. When DS2 went to nurse, he took a sip, then, to my shock--he's the most mommy-milk addicted creature I can imagine--he looked up at me and said, "I don't like mommy milk anymore." !! "And [DS1] doesn't either." DS2 proceeded to nurse some, and then when I told him he doesn't have to drink it if he doesn't like it he stopped. DS1 took a sip and said he didn't like it any more either.

I was wondering if this would stick the next morning. DS2 came running into my bedroom as usual "I want mommy milk!" After taking a sip, though, he said again, "I don't like mommy milk anymore." DS1 asked if he could have a little more, took a sip, and confirmed he still didn't like it either.

I just needed to share with some women who would understand my mixed feelings about this. I'm glad, because I do feel that it's time, and I really wanted it to be self-directed. And we still cuddle when they would otherwise nurse, which I generally enjoy more. But I'm sad, too, particularly because it was so sudden and without warning. I didn't know that the last time I nursed them would be THE last time I nursed them!

Default Re: "I don't like mommy milk anymore"

Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

It doesn't matter if it's time - it still hurts.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's time - it still hurts.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

You have done an amazing job of giving them both what they need. Congratulations on being a super mom! Give yourself the time you need to grieve the changing relationship, your feelings are totally valid even if you are in part relieved that it's over.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    You have done an amazing job of giving them both what they need. Congratulations on being a super mom! Give yourself the time you need to grieve the changing relationship, your feelings are totally valid even if you are in part relieved that it's over.
    Well said

Here I am at only 4 months and hope I will be at least half as strong as you are! 4.5 yrs is amazing and mommy's milk will stay with them forever.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Have you recently started working out? Could it be that the taste has changed? I think that 4.5 years old is a GREAT time to wean....but I understand wanting it to be a more gradual thing. I am wondering if a change in your activity level has made them reject the FLAVOR rather than the ACT of nursing....

Way too lazy for formula

Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Have you recently started working out? Could it be that the taste has changed? I think that 4.5 years old is a GREAT time to wean....but I understand wanting it to be a more gradual thing. I am wondering if a change in your activity level has made them reject the FLAVOR rather than the ACT of nursing....
    I wish! No working out here. It does seem to be the flavor, although I can't think of anything I ate out of the ordinary. Whatever it is, and sad as I am to see it end, I can't think of a better way for it to happen than by them deciding on their own to stop.

Thanks everyone for your expressions support!

Congratulations on making it that long, Mama! I find it SO interesting that they decided that together. I wonder if one of them encouraged the other to be done?

I'm a twin too and i had to tell my sister that it was time for her to pee on the potty when I didn't want to be doing diapers anymore

My Mom said it was challenging being a mom of twins sometimes because we were so in sync and she felt out of the loop! I'm kind of just saying that because that's immediately what i thought of - you get back from a trip and they've moved on without you being a part of the discussion. I hope you find peace with the way it's working out.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it