Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggestions

Default suggestions

I went back to work two weeks ago and Im having a REALLY hard time with my management understanding that I HAVE to pump, Im planning on talking with the head store mngr tomarro and needing some suggestions on how to get her to see why this is a NEED not a WANT. She has no children and has said she never will.

Im working 4days a week, 12hr shifts 8pm-8am Im wanting to pump for about 40min at each of my breaks (normaly 15min each) and taking a extra 15-20 min on my lunch (so I can get in 2 pumpings)

I have only ben able to pump 1x on break & 1x on lunch and that even seems to be a challenge, They want me to ask before I pump to make sure "it doesnt interfear with me getting my job done"

Any suggestions??
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months
    Blaze BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Bristol BF 3.5 years (tandem)
    Raiden BF 15months & counting

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Default Re: suggestions

Can you call your doctor and ask for a note explaining that you have to pump every x hours or you risk infection or complications? That might be the most direct way to get past resistance. I have also explained it to people like this-- "it's like going to the bathroom- you can only put it off so long." I would focus on the actual need to pump. In other words, you don't have to justify choosing to breastfeed your baby. That's your choice and this is how it has to happen. I know how hard it is to go back to work. Perhaps someone here will chime in with info on the pumping law-- it doesn't apply to me so I don't know too much about it, but I'm pretty sure they have to give you breaks to pump, even if they are unpaid.

What are the current rules regarding smoke breaks?

I'm not sure what kind of work you do, but would you be able to do extra just before and after your pumping breaks to make up for the lost time?

If I were you, I would focus on getting the pumping times set up (and I would try to get 3 pumping sessions for that length of time) before trying to get those times extended. I think it would be more important for you to be able to pump at all than pump for X amount of time. So if you get one fifteen minute break and one lunch break (which seems a bit low for me), then I would break your lunch up into two breaks, then that would give you three. Put your horns in the fridge b/w sessions so you don't have to worry about washing. Have plenty of collection bottles and caps, so you just throw a cap on whatever you just pumped and get back to work.

Your baby probably isn't eating that much in the overnight hours while you are gone, so it's a matter of removing milk so your production doesn't suffer, rather than getting a certain amount of ounces. How many times (roughly) does he wake up to nurse now b/w those times?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank for the advise

I work for a large retail chain, we have over 300 ppl so the federal laws apply to me, however Im in a VERY BF UNFRIENDLY state!
    I am one of 3 managers on my shift, but each of us has a specific job. I supervise about 30 workers (overnight) that stock, and I do alot of the stocking as well, so its frustrating for me that they are being this difficult since its not like Im working in a hospitol or other type of work that is unpredictable.

I have tried pumping for shorter times bur it takes me 10-15min just for the first few drops, so its not effective for removing milk, my DS has 3, 3-4oz bottles of EBM when im away and sometimes 1 of formula (3oz) I had supply issues and I cant always get enough EBM for him. We do EBF when Im home & days off

I am trying to change positions but it may take a few weeks. And i will be talking w/dr thanks for the idea!

thanks again for the help -jenn
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

I was also going to say something about the length of the breaks. 40 min. seems like a lot. What type of pump are you using? Have you read the sticky in the pumping section about ways to maximize your output? Have you been able to try any and see if they work for you?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*raidensmamma View Post
    I have tried pumping for shorter times bur it takes me 10-15min just for the first few drops, so its not effective for removing milk,
    Hmm, that seems like a long time to pump before you can generate a letdown. Obviously not all moms respond immediately to the pump- but I have to wonder if maybe your pump is an issue? What make/model do you have? And how well do the breast shields fit- are they perhaps too tight (your nips will rub painfully against the sides of the collection tube as you pump) or too loose (nips will shoot in and out of the tube, accompanied by loss of suction)?

You might want to try some of the following in order to try to get faster letdowns:
    - breast massage while pumping
    - drink some water while pumping
    - bring one of your baby's used outfits and smell it as you pump
    - imagine yourself nursing your baby as you pump
    - bring a pic of your baby and look at it

The last 3 are useful because psychology plays into letdown. If you're nervous and stressed, letdown takes longer. But if you're relaxed and thinking baby thoughts...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have a PIS that I just had replaced b/c of suction problems it seems good now (like when I first started using it) But its always taken me forever to let down for the pump And I do ALL of those *pumping tricks* EVERYTIME I pump. My flanges are good (after trying 4 sizes) I have pretty big breasts 38 F

I know some of the problem is being stressed, at home I EASILY pump 3-4+oz but @ work im barley getting 2oz per session (I pump both breast @ same time using a handsfree bra so I can do compressions)

Im also worried about this affecting my supply, I have worked so hard to get it so that Im able to EBF my DS when Im home. Im still taking all the herbs/tea. My DS only gets formula supps when im not able to pump enough, about 3oz 3-4x a week (my frezzer stash is gone)

Also I cant seem to be able to pump on my days off, LO wants to nurse almost non-stop. I have alot of guilt for going back to work, I didnt work until my other LOs were over a yr old. And I never *HAD* to pump

THANK YOU ALL so much for the help and for listening
    Im Jenn
    Mamma To:
    Kelsey BF 3 months
    Kenneth BF 3 months

We
    NIP BLS

In need of some

LACTIVIST

Can you also pump on your commute in or out? I've never pumped while driving, but I know others do and use a cover that you'd use for nursing on their front.

That does sound like an awful long time for a letdown. Do you have more than one when you get it going? You might try calling Medela. I wonder about your pump.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I'm so sorry you're having these issues! I know exactly how you feel! When I first went back to work I could barely pump anything. I had to pump in the bathroom (which was very stressful!), was away from my baby (also very stressful!), and so concerned that I wouldn't pump out enough milk for the next day :-(

It sounds like stress is really affecting your let-down. I would have some sessions where I was so stressed I wouldn't even have a let-down! So frustrating! Is there anyway to reduce your stress level at your pumping times? i started bringing headphones and listening to my ipod. I also found an office to pump in instead of the bathroom. Just those two things helped me relax enough to have a decent pumping session. I found that the most I ever pumped at work was 3-4 ozs from both breasts in each session. I would pump 3 times a day. But there were sessions where I would only pump 2 ozs. I decided that the baby wasn't always drinking 3 ozs when she was BF with me, so i can't expect to get the exact same amount at EVERY session.

I also made an effort wake in the early hours (usually between 3-5 am) to pump. I could almost always get an extra 4 ozs this way.

It's so stressful to try and have enough milk for your baby, but don't worry if you have to supplement with formula. Breastfeeding is not an all or nothing thing. You are doing awesome providing the best for your baby!
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!