Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the big deal about rice cereal?

Default Re: What is the big deal about rice cereal?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Or donate it to a shelter, and let her know you did. "Thanks so much for you generous gift, MIL. Since I couldn't use it, I donated it to women who could.". That way you show that you appreciate her, and what she was trying to do, while simultaneously informing her that you're not going to be doing things her way.
    Oh wow. You're good.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

My MIL isn't obsessed with rice cereal; she kept pushing me to give my DS Gerber Puffs. She even gave them to him as a Christmas present in his stocking. At that point, he had just started solids (he was just over 6 months old), and he was barely eating from a spoon filled with puree. In her opinion, since both of her granddaughters were eating Puffs when they were 6 months old, then my DS should be too. I accepted the container, and it sat in the pantry for a month or so until my DS was ready to self-feed.

I chalked this up to my MIL wanting to be helpful. She's often told me, and not in an insulting way since she and I get along very well and I owe her a lot of thanks for all she's done for me, that it's very hard to sometimes be quiet as the grandma since you don't have th control like you did as the mom. We all know as moms that we like to do things our way, and we should. Grandmas sometimes need to learn that Mom is the one with the final say.

As an aside, I did give my DS rice cereal as recommended by our doctor. He didn't do very well with solids until he was about 9 months and was eating only very little but still breastfeeding a lot. At his 9 month appt. my ped. did an iron blood test and my DS came back with low iron. He's now on a supplement, and we'll be taking him in to retest soon to make sure his iron levels are back up to where they should be.

Thanks ladies! She's 6 months in a few days, but only 3 months corrected. She was a micro preemie. She shows no signs of readiness from that list.

She came home at 4lbs 3ozs. After 2 months she weighed 9lbs 9ozs. Her next weighin is this week. So I think she's gaining quite well.

Mil formula fed her 3 boys and gave them cereal way early to keep them quiet. She's kind of passive in the way she critiques my parenting. Maybe the pp is right that she takes offense that I do everything differently?

Lmao at the donating....haven't quite got the balls to go there yet, but we will see how long my fuse is....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tellatuperman View Post
    Thanks ladies! She's 6 months in a few days, but only 3 months corrected. She was a micro preemie. She shows no signs of readiness from that list.

She came home at 4lbs 3ozs. After 2 months she weighed 9lbs 9ozs. Her next weighin is this week. So I think she's gaining quite well.

Mil formula fed her 3 boys and gave them cereal way early to keep them quiet. She's kind of passive in the way she critiques my parenting. Maybe the pp is right that she takes offense that I do everything differently?

Lmao at the donating....haven't quite got the balls to go there yet, but we will see how long my fuse is....
    A friend of mine with a micro preemie found that her daughter wasn't ready to try solids until she was over 1 year. Take your time, there's no rush. She'll let you know when she's ready on her own time.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    One things I keep thinking about is the fact that everyone keeps saying "they need to eat REAL food". Well. . .I certainly wouldn't have rice cereal for dinner And yet they are annoyed when I *do* him "real food", because I'm being "different".
    The whole "when are you going to give her real food" thing always annoyed me. Is my breastmilk fake food? I don't understand what "real food" is.

I with PP about taking your time. She will let you know when she is ready :-) and enjoy not having to worry about sOlids yet. They are fun but I'm now running into the issue that everyone wants to feed her everything from their plate or the table (see my other thread about my FIL giving icing to my 7 month old!!! Grrrrr)
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

Oh my gosh - I totally loved reading this post. My mom pushed and pushed and pushed rice cereal. "Give that baby some cereal and maybe you'll finally get some sleep" from the time he was about 3 months on. Every. Single. Time. I talked to her.

She was highly offended when I didn't take her advice to start solids at 3 months...and even more offended when I started him just shy of 6 months with a banana, followed by an avocado - instead of her precious rice cereal. And even when I introduced solids - over a month later - he still has hardly an interest at all. When she came to visit she saw that first hand - and acted like it was because it wasn't cereal that I was giving him...

I eventually showed her the research - and told her that I am following the current standards - just as she did with me...and she finally backed down.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katia11 View Post
    One things I keep thinking about is the fact that everyone keeps saying "they need to eat REAL food". Well. . .I certainly wouldn't have rice cereal for dinner
    I laughed so hard when I read this! So true.

Are you able to talk with your MIL and tell her your stance? Especially with having a micro preemie (love the term!), the game is pretty different for you. I have a couple of friends who've had micro preemies and, like the pp said, their kids just didn't care much about solids until over a year and they are thriving. Sounds like your MIL could use a discreet reminder that the times have changed and that you appreciate her thoughtfulness, thanks. Showing her some current research and guidelines might help her to get the point, if there is a way to encourage her to take a look without her getting overly offended.

As a side note, my MIL is like this too, where she's like "OMG, must feed a baby!" When she comes to visit, she gets the biggest kick out of feeding the twins. She did bring a box of rice cereal a few months ago and we told her we weren't ready. Since then, we've been doing primarily BLS, with some purees and things like yogurt thrown in. It's funny as my MIL was actually appalled that the twins would eat finger foods and feed themselves. She couldn't help herself: the first time she got to help feed lunch, she jumped in and began cutting up their banana chunks for them even though we asked her not to... It was HILARIOUS because both twins got SO mad! They were grunting and crying and throwing the little chunks back at her... By the time she left a few days later, she'd learned to not touch their food. :P So really, MILs can apparently be nuts no matter what you do!

Oh, and for the record, we still haven't bothered giving the twins rice cereal. And they hate actual rice which shocks my MIL, so... Oh well.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

I can totally relate. My MIL, God Bless Her...she is so eager to feed him solid food. After seeing him exhibit an aversion to eating first hand at 6 months, our ped suggested waiting a month before trying again. My mother in law, on our last visit was like "Is it time? Can we feed him?" So, we tried a bit of brown rice cereal (because that's what she had). Once again, he refused to eat it. Holds his mouth closed. Is it wrong that I get a sense of satisfaction when he does that to her? Like, see, I told you: We aren't STARVING our child, he just isn't ready.

So, later, she's holding him outside and we're all hanging out on the patio and she says "Why won't he eat? What's WRONG with him?" Are you kidding me, I thought? I looked right at her and said "There's nothing WRONG with him. Why do you think there's something wrong with him? Babies develop at their own pace. We are not FORCING him to do something just because other people think he should be doing it. He will eat when he wants to eat. In the meantime, breastmilk is providing him with all the nutrients he needs. Right now, any solid introduction is merely an effort to get him used to new tastes and textures."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennygal View Post
    Oh my gosh - I totally loved reading this post. My mom pushed and pushed and pushed rice cereal. "Give that baby some cereal and maybe you'll finally get some sleep" from the time he was about 3 months on. Every. Single. Time. I talked to her.

She was highly offended when I didn't take her advice to start solids at 3 months...and even more offended when I started him just shy of 6 months with a banana, followed by an avocado - instead of her precious rice cereal. And even when I introduced solids - over a month later - he still has hardly an interest at all. When she came to visit she saw that first hand - and acted like it was because it wasn't cereal that I was giving him...

I eventually showed her the research - and told her that I am following the current standards - just as she did with me...and she finally backed down.
    to the bolded part.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Oh the rice cereal. Ugh! I get that it's adding texture to something familiar but it's just vitamin starch. Yes my mil brought me rice cereal at 2 mos, without my consent. At the time I didn't know anything about solids. I'm like feed him off a spoon....are you nuts...look at him. He's just a newborn. She still thinks it makes them sleep. Haha well he's 18 mos now and still doesn't always sleep thru (and we are weaned now). She also thought weaning would make him sleep. Hahahaha

I did call the pedi nurse and asked (when she gave me the box) Shes said oh no, not yet. I saved the box and I did use it occasionally but not until 6 mos Loved sweet potatoes at 7 mos but didn't eat a whole lot till 9 mos.

Now my nephew I think we really ready at 5 mos. Boy opened his mouth at the site of a spoon. Loved cereal! He still likes to eat just about everything. So kids are different, I think. Just go with your gut and try to smile and grandma (she is just trying to help...usually)
    SAHM to my sweet December baby boy.