Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the big deal about rice cereal?

Default What is the big deal about rice cereal?

Every time I see my mil she asks about rice cereal. I've said over and over I don't think the baby is ready, she says ok and asks again a week later.

Well she came over and not only did she bring a box of rice cereal, but a formula dispenser! For when I'm done breastfeeding, she said! Wtf?

What is the facination with the damn cereal?? I let her give my baby a bottle of ebm when she visits, so its not a jealously thing....?

Also, does anyone know if I go by actual age or adjusted age for starting solids?

Default Re: What is the big deal about rice cereal?

I have no idea what the big deal is! I remember my mom doing the same when my DD1 was around 4 months old. "She's hungry, she wants REAL food, give her cereal" etc. I didn't know any better at the time so let her have a few bites but when she was completely uninterested I just let it go in one ear and out the other. She didn't really take off on solids until she was about 8 months old. My second DD was a bit of a different story as she had oral aversion and was impossible to feed in nearly every way. She was a preemie but I was told to go by actual age, not corrected.

Sorry, not much help!
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

Babies who are formula fed need added iron, and rice cereal is fortified with iron. So, it's become a traditional first food.

That being said, my DD has been breastfed since day one with no formula whatsoever. Her iron levels are perfection, according to the test the doctor did at 12 months and 14 months.

If you are concerned about iron levels, your pedi can do a blood check. It's pretty simple. I'm sure your LO is probably fine. But in the long run, you will be able to have an educated answer when asked by your MIL.

My DD never had a drop of rice cereal. I actually tried to give it to her, and she spit it out. It's kind of revolting tasting. It's not necessary. Try looking up wholesomebabyfoods.com

A lot of moms also thicken formula in a bottle with the said rice cereal with the theory that it makes babies sleep longer. This is not recommended and is a known choking hazard. That being said, I have a friend who started doing this at 2 weeks old with one of her sons. She and I don't agree on infant feeding philosophies.

HTH!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Your MIL is probably operating from the advice she got when she was a young mom. Things have changed a lot in the last few decades!

When starting solids, it's best to go by signs of readiness. These include:
    -baby shows interest in solids, reaching for them, watching you eat, making mouthing motions when you chew
    -baby has lost tongue-thrust reflex
    -baby has developed a pincer grasp (thumb and forefinger) in addition to palmar grasp
    -baby is able to sit unsupported

When the baby has all those signs of readiness, he's ready for solids no matter what his age is.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Kellymom.com has great information about this topic. Please check it out In the meantime, completely ignore your MIL's "advice"!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

How old is your child?

We actually did RC for both kids, my first really really loved it. No harm done. However, solids should be decided by mom and you know best when your child is ready.

MIL's just can't wait to feed the babies, we have BTDT and it is a hard one to deal with.

Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

How old is your baby? Current recommendations are to not start solids until at least 6 months. There's no harm in waiting longer. DD1 was 6 weeks early. I went by her adjusted age. She just didn't seem ready.

Older, non-BFing Mom's tend to have a real issue with new Mom's doing differently than they did. Especially when it stops them from taking part in something with the baby that they DESPERATELY want to take part in (i.e. feeding). Some seem to take it personally, that we're secretly judging them because we're doing better than they did for our babies than they did for theirs. Some take it personally, that you're "taking the babies away from them" with your choices. As well, some just don't know any better and feel that "their kids turned out okay didn't they?" as a "good enough" reason for you to do the same with your baby.

The reality is that your choices for your baby have nothing to do with anyone other than you, your DH/SO and your baby. You are the Mom now. You do (educated decision) what feels right for you and your baby.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I know, my mom started in with the real food crap pretty early. She acted like I was starving her even though our daughter was cubby like a little Michelin man. We didn't introduce solids until 11 months or so and started with avocado and banana. I told my mom to stop suggesting that we starve her because it was upsetting me. It took several conversations but she finally shut up.

Toss the crap your MIL brought over. Just throw it away.

being a SAHM to DD born 12/09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovepickles View Post

Toss the crap your MIL brought over. Just throw it away.
    Or donate it to a shelter, and let her know you did. "Thanks so much for you generous gift, MIL. Since I couldn't use it, I donated it to women who could.". That way you show that you appreciate her, and what she was trying to do, while simultaneously informing her that you're not going to be doing things her way.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

One things I keep thinking about is the fact that everyone keeps saying "they need to eat REAL food". Well. . .I certainly wouldn't have rice cereal for dinner And yet they are annoyed when I *do* him "real food", because I'm being "different".