Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this sound like oversupply?

Question Does this sound like oversupply?

My 6 week old DD is a very happy baby.. but only fussy at night.
    Green mucousy poop, only in the evening (during the day, normal yellow and seedy)
    TINY blood specks in poop, only in the evening usually

She gulps during feedings,
    sometimes coughs during feeding / choking on my milk,
    whenever she unlatches my milk sprays everywhere
    gets fussy on the breasts and I can tell she's fighting with my milk flow (facial expression, sounds she makes)
    grunts a lot
    sometimes she doesn't want to feed, unless i walk/bounce and feed her

During the day it's usually fine, in the night it's fine too, this is ONLY in the evening?
    And it's one boob more than the other..

I suspected a food allergy but wouldn't that get to her during the day too?

Default Re: Does this sound like oversupply?

It sounds like you have OALD (overactive let-down), which just means your milk comes out at a very fast rate. Usually babies grow into the flow, or else the flow mellows out on its own, after a couple of months, so if it's not causing your baby distress, it's not anything to worry about.

The green poo could be a sign of a foremilk imbalance. OALD and oversupply can definitely contribute to that. But because it's only once a day, I probably just wouldn't worry about it too much. Our milk has different compositions at different times a day, you know? My guess is that the evening poo isn't really about your evening milk, but more about your middle-of-the-day milk. At any rate, I probably just wouldn't sweat one green poop a day. Joe alternated green and yellow for his first couple months (I did have OALD and OS) and as long as he was doing good, gaining weight, and happy, I just decided I couldn't get worried about every poop, you know?

OALD and oversupply are often connected, but not necessarily. If you're not suffering from painful engorgement, then your supply is also probably not something to worry about. Block feeding (feeding from one breast per feeding, or one breast for two or three feedings in a row) is a good way to get OS under control, but if it's not broke, I say, don't worry about fixing it!

AND, evening fussiness is 100% textbook normal. That's another thing babies grow out of, usually before the three month mark. No one really knows why babies get so fussy in the evening (the "witching hour" or "unhappy hour") - it could be overstimulation, or mom's lower milk supply (caused by hormones). But any rate, it's totally normal. A lot of babies do better if you carry them, or wear them in a sling, and bounce them around a lot at this time. Swaddling and swings can also help.

This is a long way of saying, actually, I think you're doing great! Don't sweat the occasional weird poop, I say. I highly doubt your baby has food allergies, because as you say, that would cause all-day weird poop. Once a day green poo ... well, I just wouldn't worry. Sounds like you're doing fantastic.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree it does sound like your flow is fast right now. But, at 6 weeks, your supply has probably not regulated yet. I would wait it out longer but if you are finding that this continues, there are things you can do to help...some that you could do now: Here is a good link

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

thanks ladies.

Just kind of worried about the blood specks.
    Ive been block feeding since last night and this morning her diaper was nice and yellow with seeds but with a tiny bit of pinkish mucus in one spot
    I'm not sure if pink mucus is better than bright red blood specks?
    I suppose so, as when i have my period red usually turns pink and then goes away? lol

So I've been block feeding for 1.5 days now and she'd usually have green poop in the evening, usually 2 dirty diapers.. if it wasn't all green there would usually be some green in it.
    Now she didn't have ANY dirty diapers in the evening, the first one was at 5am and...ALL yellow & seedy with NO bleed what so ever, and trust me I thoroughly checked.
    So maybe block feeding is working? I hope so!!

And another one soon after I changed the first one..

I fed her around 4.30am , she was stirring and we cosleep and I woke up and noticed she had pooped but fed her first, after I changed her diaper at 5am or so and that one was super yellow, like text book bf poop, now it's 5.30am and she pooped again and it was text book bf poop again!!

I checked it in the light and as hard as I tried to find blood or green, there was NONE!
    I haven't seen her poop be this "good looking" in a long time!
    Not too watery, not mucusy, no blood, not green etc.

Lets pray the block feeding is working and it stays this way!!

Terrific news! I hope everything stays the way you want it- but just in case it doesn't, don't get discouraged. Coping with oversupply can be a process that takes a while, and setbacks are normal. When I had to block feed, I felt like it was a "2 steps forward, 1 step back" kind of journey.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Terrific news! I hope everything stays the way you want it- but just in case it doesn't, don't get discouraged. Coping with oversupply can be a process that takes a while, and setbacks are normal. When I had to block feed, I felt like it was a "2 steps forward, 1 step back" kind of journey.
    Sometimes, when block feeding, you'll hit setbacks: that's normal, don't give up! As far as the blood in the stools, if that keeps up (and you're not struggling with bleeding nipples or anything that would be an easy explanation), I would definitely talk to the ladies over on the food allergies/sensitivities forum.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.