Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding while Pregnant with Bicornuate Uterus

Unhappy Breastfeeding while Pregnant with Bicornuate Uterus

Hello,
    I am the happy mother of a 14 month old little girl (Coco). She has been an avid breastfeeder, nursing every 2 hours around the clock up until a few weeks ago. Still, she nurses around 8 times per day. I love it and so does she.

Recently, I found out I was pregnant. Everything I have read says it's perfectly safe to do. However, I have a bicornuate uterus (heart shaped). I had a c-section with my first child because of it. I never had any problems, no preterm labor, no miscarriages.

A doctor I recently saw told me to stop nursing. However, she made no mention that this was because of my uterus. I don't see my regular doctor for a couple of weeks, I'm hoping she has a different opinion about it.

I am having major anxiety about having to wean my sweet Coco. Neither her nor I are ready to give up nursing.

Has anyone heard anything about breastfeeding while pregnant with a bicornuate uterus? I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks!

Brandi

Default Re: Breastfeeding while Pregnant with Bicornuate Uterus

check out kellymom.com.

Unless there is a specific reason, you should be fine nursing. Alot of doctors are uncomfortable with it but it is usually fine.

Check out the preggo threads, there are lots of llladies that would love to tell you how they're doing!
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

Default Re: Breastfeeding while Pregnant with Bicornuate Uterus

Typically the reason given to stop nursing while pregnant is that the nipple stimulation can cause contractions and some believe early labor. If going into labor for your condition is a problem (and I know someone who has that, I believe the section is for breech and a constricted growing area, not dangerous labor) then weaning would be something to consider much later in the pregnancy. However, there are other schools of thought that suggest the stimulation from breastfeeding is not enough of a concern to wean and many moms go on to tandem nurse. I would ask your doctor for specific reasons, designated to you and your condition alone. If none are provided and just a generic answer is given, then I would say it's your choice.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn