Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Random BLS rambles

Default Re: Random BLS rambles

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    so you send in chickpeas already squished? i never thought of chickpeas

what about humus? does anyone just put it on toast or do something else with it?

anyone make their own humus?
    Yes, I send in squished chickpeas. There's a rule that all the kids have to have protein at every meal, and rice cereal or oatmeal is the usual protein. So, DS will be taking lots of beans, tofu, and lentils I squish all beans in advance, and he does pretty well with grilled tofu strips.

I've made my own hummus before, without a real recipe: a can of chickpeas, about a teaspoon of tahini, some olive oil, some lemon juice (if desired), and salt and pepper to taste in a blender. You can add other spices or whatever you want. You can do crackers with it if your LO eats crackers, you can put it on pasta, you can use it as a cooked veggie topper, you can use it as a sandwich spread, you can eat it with a spoon, you can put it on a tray and let LO dip his or her fingers in it... I really like hummus, if you couldn't tell! I think it's one of my favorite all-purpose foods.

good ideas!

our dc has no food rules, yours sounds strict !

i was thinking pasta with pesto too, maybe some tortellini

Pasta is a good idea! My DS loves apples, and it's so cute to see him with holding a whole apple and sucking on it, occasionally taking small bites. I'd love to send one with him to daycare, but I think they'd be really confused! They seem to handle the usual suspects, like rice crackers, cheerios, and the like much better. I was thinking of maybe trying the rice crackers with avocado spread on the top, but I think they'd get mushy by lunch. Maybe rice cakes instead?

Our dc participates in the federal food program, and my understanding is that all the rules come from that. I have to bring in a doctor's note if we are going to do breastmilk past 13 months and if we're not going to do cereal, and I forget what other notes I need. I have a list for my next doctor's appointment!

I think it's funny now that on the daily report, they outline what finger foods they gave him, and there's always a note written that says, "didn't eat any". He eats at home, though not much. I wonder why he won't eat there?

Is he eating by himself at daycare? Our daycare only has one highchair so each baby gets their meals one at a time.

When he is home he probably sits at the table and eats with the family so he can focus, but at daycare it might be too crazy to concentrate. This was a problem for us the first month or so, but he doesn't need me chewing right next to him anymore.

BTW, my son has started eating off the regular menu for lunch and yesterday they wrote a note that he ate the entire lunch portion!
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I tried giving DD avacado the other night and she sucked off a decent size piece and then gagged it out.... are you supposed to give LARGE or SMALL pieces and should it be ripe or unripe?
    Full time working mama to a precious
    Due date was 05/02/2011 - born 04/04/2011 at 36 weeks exactly.
    and 14 months and still going strong

i was confused about piece size and was told to go large. i would think soft with the avacado, but not mushy. i would maybe give a 1/4 of it as a piece they could suck/chew on

According to Gill Rapley's book you should cut food into the size and shape of "chips" which to us silly Americans means thick cut fries. Thin enough to wrap their hands around but long enough to have plenty sticking out the sides to munch on.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    Is he eating by himself at daycare? Our daycare only has one highchair so each baby gets their meals one at a time.

When he is home he probably sits at the table and eats with the family so he can focus, but at daycare it might be too crazy to concentrate. This was a problem for us the first month or so, but he doesn't need me chewing right next to him anymore.

BTW, my son has started eating off the regular menu for lunch and yesterday they wrote a note that he ate the entire lunch portion!
    They have a bunch of little high-chairs, so I think usually at least a couple kids eat together. I never thought that his concentration might be off because of the daycare setting. Thanks for sharing this! Maybe things will get better in a couple weeks when he gets used to eating at daycare.

I meant to make blueberry pancakes and pumpkin muffins this weekend. Instead, we did pumpkin pancakes. They were yummy, though! DS mostly played with his, but he did get it to his mouth and I *think* he took a couple bites. He also managed to get a couple Cheerios in his mouth, so his pincher grip is coming along. As usual, he'll take some bites from an apple if I have a couple bites first. I also made some pumpkin pancakes with baby cereal for daycare. That way, he can have something in a form he's used to, but it still meets the whole "offering rice cereal for a protein" requirement. We'll see what the daycare sheet says tonight.

Yesterday at the church picnic I didn't have a high chair for LO so I handed him a piece of hamburger. When I wasn't paying attention he stuck the hamburger in my potato salad, smeared it around the plate along with some pickle slices I had gotten for him, and then tried to eat the whole mess. The three older couples who were sitting with us found it highly amusing. Eventually I cleaned him up and then nursed him. When he was nursing one of the ladies said, "I guess he knew what he really wanted."
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

our dc teacher thinks its good that we let jack feed himself, i'm so happy. they also believe in letting kids get messy so its a great environment for him to learn. i was nervous initially.

they all love to watch him eat

we had grilled cheese today. not so healthy, but it was a rush of a morning.