Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Random BLS rambles

Default Re: Random BLS rambles

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post

He has also been on a "I can drink from the cup myself" kick, even though he hasn't successfully gotten any liquid out of any cup we have tried, without parental assistance anyway. No, wait, he did get water out of the regular cup we gave him, but it was into his lap, not his mouth. We have tried sippy cups, straw cups, regular cups, and regular cups with straws all with no luck.
    How old is your LO?? I just let DS keep trying and trying and he finally got it. He dumped it several times on his lap...several times he dumped way too much in his mouth...but he got it. It was important to find the right cup for him too. He really likes my Tervis tumblers...about half full he does a great job. And I bought these little munchkin plastic cups - just a little bigger than a dixie cup and he seems to do well with them, also filled less than halfway. This gives him enough wiggle room to tilt the cup and look in before he spills it...then I think he can gauge how to tip it. If it's too full, he tips it to look it, but spills it. KWIM?

And we finally had success with the munchkin sippy cups with straws. We would put our finger on a straw and drop it into his mouth and he eventually tried sucking on it...then we put it into a cup and he figured that out...so we eventually moved to the sippy cup with a straw too.

Good luck - have fun! The best place to practice is the bath tub!
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

He is 9 months. I wasn't really pushing it until a couple of weeks ago when we had some constipation issues, and considering the amount of fruit he eats I was pretty sure he just needed a bit of water during his meals.

I am not too impressed with the straw cup we purchased because it takes so much effort to get anything out of it. I have seen him suck on it with no reward, so we are thinking of trying a different brand of those. A regular straw just gets gnawed on, even after dripping liquid from the end into his mouth.

We have a little plastic shot glass shaped like a cactus that we occasionally fill with water and then lay a towel over his highchair tray to practice with, but the cactus always gets flipped over immediately and the bottom goes straight into his mouth. I have tried putting the rim of the cup up to his lips or taking a sip out of it myself before handing it to him, but there seems to be no interest in that.

We are close to success with the sippy cup. He just needs to remember to hold it at an angle for more than a split second.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennygal View Post
    How old is your LO?? I just let DS keep trying and trying and he finally got it. He dumped it several times on his lap...several times he dumped way too much in his mouth...but he got it. It was important to find the right cup for him too. He really likes my Tervis tumblers...about half full he does a great job. And I bought these little munchkin plastic cups - just a little bigger than a dixie cup and he seems to do well with them, also filled less than halfway. This gives him enough wiggle room to tilt the cup and look in before he spills it...then I think he can gauge how to tip it. If it's too full, he tips it to look it, but spills it. KWIM?

And we finally had success with the munchkin sippy cups with straws. We would put our finger on a straw and drop it into his mouth and he eventually tried sucking on it...then we put it into a cup and he figured that out...so we eventually moved to the sippy cup with a straw too.

Good luck - have fun! The best place to practice is the bath tub!
    good idea about the tub

i was just going to post a thread about which straw sippy... so you like the munchkin?

We are tabling food for now. Lola thinks it's all disgusting.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Gav is more interested now, so we are trying lots of stuff!

Regarding the cup...just let them play. Yes, they will pour it out and chew on the bottom. That's ok. It will come.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i baked some pumpkin muffins and gave jack one

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Gav is more interested now, so we are trying lots of stuff!

Regarding the cup...just let them play. Yes, they will pour it out and chew on the bottom. That's ok. It will come.
    i was just wondering about Gavin and food this morning what's he eating?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    i baked some pumpkin muffins and gave jack one
    What did Jack think of the muffin? I cannot for the life of me get Lizzie interested in them. They usually just end up in the trash. Maybe pumpkin would be a good try. Banana and carrot are definitely not appreciated.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    What did Jack think of the muffin? I cannot for the life of me get Lizzie interested in them. They usually just end up in the trash. Maybe pumpkin would be a good try. Banana and carrot are definitely not appreciated.
    he loved it. it was super soft and had chocolate chips in it. i was eating it and he grabbed it from me. i can write the recipe if you want, it was pretty healthy and very easy to make. worst case scenario she doesnt like it and you can freeze them for treats for you

jack does NOT like bananas

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    good idea about the tub

i was just going to post a thread about which straw sippy... so you like the munchkin?
    Yes - I like the munchkin ones. I like that they don't have handles - handles were a little abstract for my son...he likes to just hold it like a regular cup. It's also the only straw sippy I've found that doesn't leak when I hold it upside down and shake it. And, it's not super hard for him to suck either. We have a Playtex and it leaks and doesn't give him results easily.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

dh is looking at sippy cups today for us

just wanted to say how much i BLS. it's like BF in that it is so much more than just about food. jack was eating his somewhat stale pumpkin bread and having the best time ever. when i cleaned up i realized he had eaten very little (so much in his seat). i can see how much it means to him that we encourage him to do this on his own. it really is amazing. i love babies