Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Random BLS rambles

Default Re: Random BLS rambles

Why is daycare spoon feeding him? Do they have some sort of rule that he has to eat X amount at mealtimes? If you want him to strictly feed himself then I don't see any reason why they should fight you on that. Maybe they just need more explicit instructions.

About the psychological damage, I am doubtful. Babies are smart and they realize that different people do things differently and that routines are different at home versus at daycare. If YOU change constantly he might get frustrated and confused.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Ok, so... what do you think is good for a 6mo LO to try? We started off with apples and green peppers... and until I go grocery shopping, my only options are butternut squash, kale (very wilty), baby carrots (um, I think I need big carrots for BLS), cheese, hummus, and then a bunch of grain things (e.g. bread, pasta). We also have bananas but DH wants to wait on those. Ideas?

Katia, I do have the Rapley book. Thanks for the reminder on combo feeding!

Sassypants, they don't have a rule that he has to eat a specific amount, but they have a rule that he has to be "offered" food. Because of Food Program guidelines, they have to offer a protein. They use rice cereal or oatmeal as the protein. So they "offer" the food by spoon-feeding, though they won't force it if he turns his head away, which he usually does. I explained that we typically only give him finger food from the table, and when we do anything using a spoon, like applesauce, we preload the spoon and let DS feed himself. Maybe we haven't been clear enough that we're doing it on purpose, and I should insist that he feed himself. I think maybe they're just used to babies doing purees or eating lots of finger food. He doesn't do either. I'm fine with it, so I guess I need to just insist that they be fine with it, too.

Chatton, I think all those things sound good! Baby carrots actually seem like they would be just the right size for tiny fists

We use baby carrots all the time. I steam them in the microwave in some water. The baby gets really excited when he see them.

He also is a big fan of toast. Pasta works well if it is hand sized (bow tie, rotini, etc.).
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Why wait on bananas? I think it is a great first food, as you don't really need teeth (not that you need to for BLS ) and my son has one for breakfast every morning He's a monkey!

Also, for bananas, if you squish them on the sides you can usually get it to break into three long pieces that aren't slippery, making it great for BLS. I hope that makes sense.

One warning--bananas become amazingly sticky once your LO has been playing with them for a while.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

wigglebug... definitely insist. i do

we tried chickpeas... he's not a fan (yet)

definitely getting so much better at picking things up!!! YAY

I was just reminded today at dinner how crazy my son is about Cheerios! He ate everything in sight at dinner; all his meat, all his beans, all his crackers. We didn't have anymore food from dinner to offer, so I got out the box of Cheerios and he got REALLY excited. I put a handful on his tray and he grabs two large fistfuls, turns his hands over to inspect for a moment, then shoves them both into his face!

After dinner he was playing with his dad on the floor and saw the cereal box still sitting on the dining room floor by his chair, so he makes a run for it and knocks the box over to get inside. We put the box up on the table and he pulls himself up to his feet using a chair and tries to reach as high as he can to get the box off the table. We tried to get a picture but he gave up after a few minutes.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

DD had her first stinky kind-of-solids poop...
    I know what you all mean now when you say you miss EBF poop.
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

Last night we had pizza, so I gave DS cheerios and an apple, which he loves. He took a couple bites of the apple and then got seriously discontented, so I took him out of the high chair and put him in my lap. He went right for the pizza! Granted, it's vegan pizza, so it had carmelized onions, artichokes, and something else (Amy's brand), but he loved it! He had top 1/3 of a piece, with the crust, and he ate all the toppings off and then chewed on the crust. Today at day care they asked if he was eating at home, and I told them about the pizza. They've been trying to give him bigger pieces of things, but he still just throws them around or plays with them, not putting them in his mouth. However, they said he does try to eat the food that the other kids throw onto the floor. Go figure.